Brett Brux saison tastes like crap after kegging. Age or dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I've had a basic saison made with 3711 French saison and a bunch of sterling hop late additions/dry hop. I added the brett brux right from the white labs tube with the 3711 and aged it for about 3 months before dry hopping and kegging. It seemed to be pretty clean and mellow for the most part before going into the keg and I had some decent hopes for the beer. After sitting in the kegerator carbing for half a week, it seems to have taken on an extremely funky and almost poop smelling aroma/flavor. My palate sort of gets used to it after a few sips and it becomes a bit more tolerable and actual brett like, but this flavor seems to have come out of no where after kegging. I cant tell if its either because (a.) the brett got crazy when pressure was applied, (b.) it got infected? (I have had little to no issues with this so I doubt this is the cause), or (c.) I just couldn't pick up on this flavor when taking small sips from the hydrometer samples. Anyways my question to everyone is, do you think I should let it age a bit in the keg and see if the flavors change or is it a dumper at this point? I have plenty of other great beers that I would rather put in the keg and get on tap but if this thing could turn around and become a tasty brett saison I'm totally willing to dedicate the time and space. Any insight would be great! :mug:

If you have the keg space, I say keep it. At this point it might be worth bringing into a warm area and testing if the flavor increases. If you do get an uptick in off flavor, you may have a chance of waiting it out and hoping it clears up.

If you don't have the extra keg space, bottle off as much as you are comfortable with, and hide it somewhere. Who knows what might happen with a little aging (age 'em both cold and warm).

Back