Breckenridge Brewery sold to Anheuser-Busch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I hate to see independent craft breweries being snapped up by the big conglomerates, I'm not sure this is necessarily a bad thing. So far, AB Inbev hasn't monkeyed with the beers from its acquired breweries like Goose Island. And the biggies do have excellent distribution networks.

The market share for macro beers has been eroding in recent years, so it makes perfect business sense for the companies to expand through bolt-on acquisitions.

Although I hate to see independent craft breweries being snapped up by the big conglomerates, I'm not sure this is necessarily a bad thing. So far, AB Inbev hasn't monkeyed with the beers from its acquired breweries like Goose Island. And the biggies do have excellent distribution networks.

The market share for macro beers has been eroding in recent years, so it makes perfect business sense for the companies to expand through bolt-on acquisitions.

Eventually Big Brew will control most if not all the beer. These companies work on long time investment rewards. And power. They'll outlive any craft brewery and us.

They're not monkeying with the beer yet as we're too much onto them. But give it 10, 20 years and we'll notice some trends. I swear, Blue Moon tasted much better 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I had a Breck beer at my son's house yesterday. Not impressed. It was neither malt forward nor hop forward - it was school forward. Only 6% abv but tasted like straight up ethanol.

Back