Breaking Bad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The money is still for his family....there's just a lot of it. I don't think he had piles of money elsewhere, which was a HUGE mistake in my opinion. You'd think a clever guy like Walt would be smart enough to break up his money into geographically separate stashes and use different methods of concealment for each one, sort of like the way Gus had his dead drops set up when Mike & Jesse went out to do pickups. Walt of all people should know better than to put all his eggs in one basket.

I think the more serious mistake that Walt made was talking about killing people (and other crimes) over the phone, especially when he knows Hank is already gunning for him. I think more than the pile of money (which he could deny knowledge of, and probably get out of with some clever lawyering) him talking about all that stuff when he was driving over there will be the nail in his (legal) coffin if it sees the light of day.

IF Hank & Gomie make it out alive. Hank should have called Tribal Police before calling Marie. now, she's the only one who knows that Hank has Walt in custody, but has NO IDEA where they are

Looks like the big gun will be for uncle jacks crew. I'd guess that Hank and Gomie get killed/wounded, since he called Marie. I'm guessing Walt doesn't kill Jesse and refuses to cook for them and goes on the run. He had money to buy the m60 so he obviously doesn't loose his money in this fire fight.

Doesn't explain why the neighbor was suddenly terrified of Walt, though.

The money is still for his family....there's just a lot of it. I don't think he had piles of money elsewhere, which was a HUGE mistake in my opinion. You'd think a clever guy like Walt would be smart enough to break up his money into geographically separate stashes and use different methods of concealment for each one, sort of like the way Gus had his dead drops set up when Mike & Jesse went out to do pickups. Walt of all people should know better than to put all his eggs in one basket.

I think the more serious mistake that Walt made was talking about killing people (and other crimes) over the phone, especially when he knows Hank is already gunning for him. I think more than the pile of money (which he could deny knowledge of, and probably get out of with some clever lawyering) him talking about all that stuff when he was driving over there will be the nail in his (legal) coffin if it sees the light of day.

Yeah, these "mistakes" are really straining the whole suspension of disbelief thing. It pretty much started last season with Walt keeping the signed Leaves of Grass book ON HIS TOILET, which felt totally inauthentic for the character, and would feel so even if he Hank had NEVER shown him the other one. If he's really so desperate to have that particular book as mid-dump reading material, he could at least rip the page out, or even just buy another copy if Gale Boetticher's message means too much to him to do anything to it - it's not like he'd have trouble fitting it into his budget for the week.

But I can't fault all that TOO much, because the series has to come to an end somehow! Either Walt gets a) killed or b) caught due to mistakes he made, c) dies of an unrelated cause, or d) simply gets out of the business. The latter would have ended exactly like (close to) the very end of last season - just without the final bathroom scene, which would have been anticlimactic and dull. Option "c" would have been similarly boring. So for an exciting and worthwhile ending, Walt pretty much has to be taken down be taken down as a result of his own mistakes. So despite how improbable it all might look, it seems to me a sacrifice that is entirely necessary for the benefit of the storytelling.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to see Jesse's whiney face anymore. He always looks like a little kid throwing a tantrum.

I still can't figure out what brings him back after a year. Does he only have days to live and wants revenge? I guess the dea rips up the house looking for evidence and skylar will be okay since Walt covered for her.

I still can't figure out what brings him back after a year. Does he only have days to live and wants revenge? I guess the dea rips up the house looking for evidence and skylar will be okay since Walt covered for her.

The preview made it seem like someone will be going after Skylar. Maybe she finally gets killed.

Fin sure had a ****ty day. Most trusting character on the show has his entire world go to **** in a few hours.

Doesn't explain why the neighbor was suddenly terrified of Walt, though.

Yeah, these "mistakes" are really straining the whole suspension of disbelief thing. It pretty much started last season with Walt keeping the signed Leaves of Grass book ON HIS TOILET, which felt totally inauthentic for the character, and would feel so even if he Hank had NEVER shown him the other one. If he's really so desperate to have that particular book as mid-dump reading material, he could at least rip the page out, or even just buy another copy if Gale Boetticher's message means too much to him to do anything to it - it's not like he'd have trouble fitting it into his budget for the week.

But I can't fault all that TOO much, because the series has to come to an end somehow! Either Walt gets a) killed or b) caught due to mistakes he made, c) dies of an unrelated cause, or d) simply gets out of the business. The latter would have ended exactly like (close to) the very end of last season - just without the final bathroom scene, which would have been anticlimactic and dull. Option "c" would have been similarly boring. So for an exciting and worthwhile ending, Walt pretty much has to be taken down be taken down as a result of his own mistakes. So despite how improbable it all might look, it seems to me a sacrifice that is entirely necessary for the benefit of the storytelling.

In a way, I think it makes for a more believable ending for an unbelieveable series. Like all who lust for power, ego becomes their undoing, and when things unravel and hit the fan, the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

I was hoping that the knife would have ended up in Walt Jr.'s neck. I would have laughed so hard!

This for Emjay. I thought that was time continuum jumping...IE, that scene was Walt returning to the house after all of the events we saw in last night's episode went down. Surely every neighbor in the area would **** a brick if they saw Walt roll up to the house now.

they keep focusing on Lydia and her tea, so maybe the ricin is for her

but my prediction: 1 year later, Jesse is still on that chain, cooking for Todd's uncle, Walt shows up with the M60 to free him and the ricin is for Walt himself in case he survives the assault.

he doesn't and Walt and Jesse have one final scene

"Jesse will never find out about Jane, Brock or Mike"

YEAH! B*TCH! :p ;)

but my prediction: 1 year later, Jesse is still on that chain, cooking for Todd's uncle, Walt shows up with the M60 to free him and the ricin is for Walt himself in case he survives the assault.

he doesn't and Walt and Jesse have one final scene

"Jesse will never find out about Jane, Brock or Mike"

I'm confused - you clearly saw this week's episode, because you know about Jesse on the chain cooking for Todd's uncle. But how could you have missed the parts where Walt a) confessed to Jesse that it was indeed him who was responsible for Brock's ricin poisoning (where he tried to downplay it by claiming he knew how much to administer so that Brock would survive), and where he antagonized Jesse by telling him he was there the night Jane overdosed, and did nothing to save her?

There will clearly be no reconciliation between Walt and Jesse. Walt now blames Jesse for Hank's death, and the consequent crumbling of his entire family. Walt made it clear that Todd's uncle is to kill Jesse as soon as he's done interrogating him. If Todd's uncle keeps Jesse around to cook for him, and Walt finds out and shows up, it'll be to KILL Jesse, not save him.

) confessed to Jesse that it was indeed him who was responsible for Brock's ricin poisoning (where he tried to downplay it by claiming he knew how much to administer so that Brock would survive),

I thought that Brock was poisoned with that plant (can't remember the name) that was on Walt's patio and not ricin.

I thought that Brock was poisoned with that plant (can't remember the name) that was on Walt's patio and not ricin.

No, Walt convinced Jesse that Gus Fring poisoned Brock, because he felt Jesse's alliances were shifting away from himself and toward Gus.

The shot of the plant on Walt's patio at the end of that episode was meant to clue the viewers in that it was actually Walt who poisoned Brock.

I'm confused - you clearly saw this week's episode, because you know about Jesse on the chain cooking for Todd's uncle. But how could you have missed the parts where Walt a) confessed to Jesse that it was indeed him who was responsible for Brock's ricin poisoning (where he tried to downplay it by claiming he knew how much to administer so that Brock would survive), and where he antagonized Jesse by telling him he was there the night Jane overdosed, and did nothing to save her?

There will clearly be no reconciliation between Walt and Jesse. Walt now blames Jesse for Hank's death, and the consequent crumbling of his entire family. Walt made it clear that Todd's uncle is to kill Jesse as soon as he's done interrogating him. If Todd's uncle keeps Jesse around to cook for him, and Walt finds out and shows up, it'll be to KILL Jesse, not save him.

it was a Lily of the Valley plant, not ricin

I had posted pages ago that Jesse would turn on Walt, IF he ever found out about Jane, Brock or Mike. someone else responded that Walt will NEVER find out about any of the 3

1. Jesse knows Walt is lying about Mike
  2. he figured out that Walt lied about Brock when Huell lifted Jesse's weed (this is what ultimately led Jesse to rat Walt out)
  3. and yes, Walt confessed he let Jane die
so, my latest post was just snarking that I was right

part of why I think he confessed was that Jesse was looking at Walt like Walt was going to do the same as he did for Hank, beg for Jesse's life. But Walt needed to let Jesse know that he wasn't going to do that, Walt's completely turned to the Dark Side, disappointed that Jesse would go to the DEA

maybe the M60 is for Jesse. maybe there's no hope for Walt. but I'm thinking there's enough Annikin in Vader to throw the Emperor down the reactor shaft (OOPS! Episode VI SPOILER ALERT!)

it was a Lily of the Valley plant, not ricin

Hmm, I was under the impression were (the viewers) were supposed to conclude that was the plant from which Walt made the Ricin. If it's in fact a Lily of the Valley plant, maybe that's simply because it looks very similar to the ricin plant, and the producers of a TV show were unable to get an ACTUAL ricin-origin plant?

Otherwise, what would be the point of doing a slow dolly shot on that plant at the very end of that episode? If it's just a Lily of the Valley plant - so what? What was the point of that shot?

so, my latest post was just snarking that I was right

Ah, OK, fair enough. :)

part of why I think he confessed was that Jesse was looking at Walt like Walt was going to do the same as he did for Hank, beg for Jesse's life. But Walt needed to let Jesse know that he wasn't going to do that, Walt's completely turned to the Dark Side, disappointed that Jesse would go to the DEA

Agree 100%. All along, through all of Jesse's betrayals and screwups, Walt has been the only person who steadfastly defended and protected him. But Jesse has finally driven away the last and only person who still gave a d*mn about him.

I don't think there's any coming back from Jesse's betrayal this time. Walt's finally done with him.

ricin is made from the castor oil plant

Jesse had gone to the doctors with his suspicion of ricin poisoning and they ruled that out. but the Feds questioned Jesse on why he thought it had been ricin

after Brock was out of danger, they told Jesse it was Lily of the Valley, very common plant and kids seem to be attracted to the red berries

and I am probably wrong about Walt saving Jesse, we'll see

Man, just when I have completely written Walt off, his tear filled "out" for Skylar was heart wrenching.

Awesome episode!!!!!!!

No more Hank.......hmmmm..

I would have been happier with no more Marie and Skylar, but this will ultimately be more interesting.

Loved seeing Marie jump the gun and still be so effing WRONG, but she still managed to topple the house of cards as far as Walt's family.

That's why I'm still pulling for Walt, even though he did a lot of crappy stuff. He was willing to give it all up for family even Hank who just arrested him.

I thought for sure Skylar was going to roll over on that knife on accident.

That's why I'm still pulling for Walt, even though he did a lot of crappy stuff. He was willing to give it all up for family even Hank who just arrested him.

I thought for sure Skylar was going to roll over on that knife on accident.

Walt was okay with poisening a child, his actions directly led to the deaths of another child and Hank, he's orchestrated mass murder, he offered up the one remaining character trying to make amends for torture, Walt needs to pay for everything.

Interesting. I watched Talking Bad last night and the actor that plays Hank, hates the character that is Walt. I am not pulling for Walt whatsoever...not because I don't see redeeming qualities in his character, but because he's pure evil and you can't be pure evil and make up for it with an occasional random display of loyalty to the family he betrayed the day he cooked his first batch.

Walt was okay with poisening a child, his actions directly led to the deaths of another child and Hank, and Hank's partner, and Gale, and Jane, and Tuco Salamanca and the guy he strangled with a bike lock, and the hundreds of people that died when Janes father made a mistake while emotionally stressed about losing his daughter, and Gustavo Fring and Hector Salamanca, and on and on and on. He's orchestrated mass murder, he offered up the one remaining character trying to make amends for torture, Walt needs to pay for everything.

Fixed it for ya ;-) , and I agree 100%.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_deaths_on_Breaking_Bad

Interesting. I watched Talking Bad last night and the actor that plays Hank, hates the character that is Walt. I am not pulling for Walt whatsoever...not because I don't see redeeming qualities in his character, but because he's pure evil and you can't be pure evil and make up for it with an occasional random display of loyalty to the family he betrayed the day he cooked his first batch.

Agreed. He mention that the creator now hates Walt too. The phone call is amazing because he's both Heisenberg and Walter White at the same time. Walter is crying that he's lost his family while Heisenberg is already planning his next step.

If I knew him in real life, I would be ok with killing Walt myself.

As a character in a show? I hope it somehow works out.

If I knew him in real life, I would be ok with killing Walt myself.

As a character in a show? I hope it somehow works out.

LOL...I get that too. I rooted for Tony Sparano right til the end too, but now that some time has passed, I finished that last scene in my mind, and Tony definitely got whacked. RIP J. Gandolfini!

TheJasonT said:
Anyone watching live right now?

Just finished it. Kind of a lull in the action setting up next week's finale. The action in the last few episodes is tough to continue. But I'm sure the finale will be awesome

Walt it pretty good and pissed. I really liked this episode, I agree action wise pretty tame, but I like that is showed how alone Walt is. Jesse and Walt have a common goal now and that is to kill Jacks gang. There are a lot of ends to tie up so it must really start off with some action.

Jack's Gang
Lydia
Todd
Jesse (I wonder if somehow he'll be the care take of skylar when walt dies, giving her money etc...)
Family

Finally Walt.

I really expected last nights episode to have all the action, and the final episode to be a little slow. Clearly next week will have tons of happenings, lot's of resolution to be gained on a number of fronts.

Last nights did have a good amount of action and building.

Andrea was killed
Lydia showed she will be coming after skyler
Junior showed he is done with Walt
Walt's health continued to decline and he seemed somewhat defeated....until the grey matter interview
Jesse continues to be...well screwed
Jack's gang continues to show their ruthlessness

Still a great episode in the scheme of TV show's as a whole. It's amazing to me how dark the show has become in this last season, I though andrea's killing puts an exclamation point on that considering she was kind of on the periphery and it didn't "need" to happen.

I wonder how many episodes/seasons it's been since walt wore the hat?

I had a feeling that the writers would try to get Jesse and Walt back on the same "team" just one last time but had no idea how it would be pulled off after Walt put the hit on him. The writing really is pretty remarkable when you think about it. Similar to Dexter, how else would they keep viewers rooting for the bad guy? They've created this alternate reality where context is everything.

I had a feeling that the writers would try to get Jesse and Walt back on the same "team" just one last time but had no idea how it would be pulled off after Walt put the hit on him. The writing really is pretty remarkable when you think about it. Similar to Dexter, how else would they keep viewers rooting for the bad guy? They've created this alternate reality where context is everything.

Last nights episode of BB was amazingly good again. I've thought about starting Dexter, but I heard that this last season and the finale were a complete wreck of a dumpster fire full of poop.

Don't hesitate on Dexter at all. The plot does take a lot of turns over the seasons that take some getting used to, but you barely even have to invest in the characters to get any enjoyment out of it. Each episode is entertaining enough on their own.

I had a feeling that the writers would try to get Jesse and Walt back on the same "team" just one last time but had no idea how it would be pulled off after Walt put the hit on him.

If jacks crew kills skyler, It's not that far of a stretch to get Jesse and Walt back together.

I am still confused by a couple of technical points introduced in the first episode of the season:

1. How did Walt, by himself and no help from Saul, find a guy willing to sell him a machine gun? The only other person I think he knows that could pull that off would be *maybe* that guy who runs the junkyard.

2. Why did Walt risk going back to the house just to get the ricin, when he has demonstrated the ability to make ricin from common household products twice already in the series?

I am still confused by a couple of technical points introduced in the first episode of the season:

1. How did Walt, by himself and no help from Saul, find a guy willing to sell him a machine gun? The only other person I think he knows that could pull that off would be *maybe* that guy who runs the junkyard.

2. Why did Walt risk going back to the house just to get the ricin, when he has demonstrated the ability to make ricin from common household products twice already in the series?

1. Walt has met and dealt with the gun runner that I believe Saul put him in touch with before.

2. Don't know.

The gun guy was the same guy that sold him the 38 Special in season (3 or 4)

For the ricin he only made it once, the other time was from the flower lily of the valley. They never really said how difficult it was, maybe he needed lab equipment to process it.

The gun guy was the same guy that sold him the 38 Special in season (3 or 4)

For the ricin he only made it once, the other time was from the flower lily of the valley. They never really said how difficult it was, maybe he needed lab equipment to process it.

Ah ok so he had a contact already for the gun. I forgot about that guy.

He made ricin twice: once in an attempt to poison Tuco in season 1 (or maybe beginning of season 2?), and then again in an attempt to poison Gus in Season 4.

Don't hesitate on Dexter at all. The plot does take a lot of turns over the seasons that take some getting used to, but you barely even have to invest in the characters to get any enjoyment out of it. Each episode is entertaining enough on their own.

Did you see the "finale"? I watched it last night and I'm still angry. Two seasons ago I was ready to quit, but then the huge plot twist (finally) came up so I figured I'd give it another season because it was going to get better. Well it got weirder, but not in a good way. I was going to quit then, but I heard the current season was the last one so I decided to watch it to get some closure on the series. The finale went on a minute too long for that, though.

Dexter was still not bad though. If you do decide to start watching it, just stop after season 5. It begins a downhill slump there and never comes to a resolution at the end.

Back