Bread twist ties... Not for keg use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkowa

Reaction score
So I have an American lager all kegged up, sitting in the basement. It gets real cold down there. Took a sample sip after a few days. I replaced the tubing but forgot where I placed the zip ties or ss clamps. Oh well, I had... bread twist ties. I checked the beer periodically for the next few hours. No problems. I checked the next day - no problem. Great, being a cheap lazy arse worked well.

Sit it and forget it for... the Super Bowl!

-two weeks pass-

Went down to the basement to take the keg outside so it can chill even further for the big party tomorrow. Hm, light keg. hm, light co2 tank. Oh, liquid out tube came disconnected. Thankfully the beer was sitting on an unfinished basement floor, near the floor drain. !@#%#^@

Lesson to all: as industrious and/or cheap as many home-brewers are, bread twist ties do not have sufficient holding power. To be fair, it was a piss poor rendition of the style!

Back