Bread Machine motorized Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helterscelter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This past weekend, I finally put together my motorized grain mill. I bought the Cereal Killer mill about a year ago (very happy with it btw) and up until now, I've been either hand-cranking (ugh!) or hovering over the bucket+mill wielding a cordless drill (very functional, but a pain in the knees).

I've been trolling many threads here on HBT looking for ideas and inspiration to finally getting my mill motorized. many, many thanks to all those who came before me. Fantastic ingenuity and a will to help others is one of the best things about this forum.

I feel like the stars aligned for me on this build. I was browsing ebay, looking for "cheap motors", when I came across motors and parts for bread machines. I thought to myself "hmm, bread machines need quite a bit of torque to be able to knead dough prior to cooking it.. that should be plenty to mill grain, I wonder how I can use one of those."

What I finally settled on, was this:

Welbilt ABM2200T Bread Machine 120V 60 Hz Motor
$_57 (2).JPG

and

Welbilt Bread Maker Machine ABM-100-3 TIMING BELT & Gear
$_57.JPG
$_57 (1).JPG

(both $30 -- shipped)

I figured I could mount the motor/gear assembly and use a lovejoy coupler to mount it to my mill's shaft or "something".

when the parts finally arrived, my plans changed.

The gear/belt assembly is basically a bearing plate (gasketted on the face to keep bread out of the bearing) with a shaft lightly press-fit through the bearing. C-Clips are used to keep the shaft from moving much and to help provide spacing for the Gear. The gear is slid on the shaft. There is then a slotted metal plate that fits into the square recess on the gear and also mates with a slotted section on the main shaft. This metal plate is what allows the gear to transfer motion to the shaft (which ultimately turns the kneading thing in the bread maker)

This is where the stars started to align for me. the Shaft that the gear was on, looked awfully close to the same size as my Cereal Killer's shaft. and in fact, after disassembling the gear I found that they were exactly the same size (I know, I know I could have used a micrometer.. if I had one), even further than that, the little metal plate slipped onto the mill's shaft/groove perfectly.

(placing the gear on the Cereal Killer shaft)
IMG_20150517_120000641.jpg

(placing the metal clip on the Cereal Killer shaft)
IMG_20150517_120038976.jpg

IMG_20150517_120101713.jpg

(adjusting the gear and clip on the Serial Killer shaft so that the clip is in the rectangle recess and held against the lip on the end of the slot/shaft)
IMG_20150517_120120329.jpg

(wrapping electrical tape around the shaft in back of the gear -- to keep the gear from sliding back on the shaft. this will likely need to be changed in the future to a C-clip or something more stout than electrical tape)
IMG_20150517_120300187.jpg

The rest of the build is pretty basic..

I cut up the top of an old microwave cart to allow the mill, and motor to be bolted down.
IMG_20150517_095320237.jpg

wired up a simple light switch to the motor.
IMG_20150517_100113835.jpg

Last edited:
mounted the motor on a hinge to allow me to adjust the belt tension.
IMG_20150517_115442862.jpg

IMG_20150517_115449248.jpg

bolted the mill + gear to the cart

IMG_20150517_121858176.jpg

put a piece of duct-work underneath to help direct grains into my buckets

IMG_20150518_121222597.jpg

Finally:

IMG_20150517_130533973.jpg

IMG_20150517_130546055.jpg

https://youtu.be/5oWdYH3vcsc

Now all I need to do is get some grain to actually try it out.

Last edited:
Awesome! There is always an old bread machine at Goodwill whenever I go savaging for brewing stuff.

I might have to pick one up and try this out.

Subbed to see it grinding in action.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in action! Good luck

Thanks. I had intended to brew this weekend so I could try the new motor out, but to many things got in the way (building some glycol chilled sankey fermentors. Time consuming). I'm planning to give it a trial run and brew next weekend.

great build, just ordered a 3 roller and i have a few questions

knowing its a new build, how is the motor holding up? Also is it reversable?

~Cheers

great build, just ordered a 3 roller and i have a few questions

knowing its a new build, how is the motor holding up? Also is it reversable?

~Cheers

I've only gone through one batch -- 27lb, but it did very well. it chugged through with no issues, no appreciable heat gain in the motor.

once I get my glycol fermentor(s) set up I'll be brewing a lot more and should really put it through it's paces. (new thread forthcoming on that -- though I'm not doing anything that others have not already documented in the past)

the motor is not reversible, unfortunately. I've not had it bind yet, but I suspect if it does, I'll just turn it off, and walk the shaft backwards manually by turning the large gear.
(I did try binding out the setup by grabbing/slowing the large gear while it was grinding and was unable to do so. if I had really wanted to bind it I could have tried harder)

I've read that 3 roller mills need more torque than 2 roller mills -- especially if you intend to start-up with a full hopper. I believe this setup should work fine, but I have no experience to show for sure.

I've only gone through one batch -- 27lb, but it did very well. it chugged through with no issues, no appreciable heat gain in the motor.

once I get my glycol fermentor(s) set up I'll be brewing a lot more and should really put it through it's paces. (new thread forthcoming on that -- though I'm not doing anything that others have not already documented in the past)

the motor is not reversible, unfortunately. I've not had it bind yet, but I suspect if it does, I'll just turn it off, and walk the shaft backwards manually by turning the large gear.
(I did try binding out the setup by grabbing/slowing the large gear while it was grinding and was unable to do so. if I had really wanted to bind it I could have tried harder)

I've read that 3 roller mills need more torque than 2 roller mills -- especially if you intend to start-up with a full hopper. I believe this setup should work fine, but I have no experience to show for sure.

on another note, if I ever tear this down or do it again, I would do things slightly different.. I've always been concerned about side-load causing premature wear on the bearings of the mill due to the tension that is required on the belt/drive gears to keep from slipping. I would probably look to add a support bearing right behind the large gear on the mill shaft to take up most of the side load.

I would also use a tighter/different hinge to mount the motor. most of the cyclic noise you hear in the video comes from slop in the hinge allowing the motor to move (and likely to a misalignment of the motor/belt/gears caused by the slop when tensioning the belt)

I might also add a belt guard and motor cover in the future.

First off, congrats! Nice build!

on another note, if I ever tear this down or do it again, I would do things slightly different.. I've always been concerned about side-load causing premature wear on the bearings of the mill due to the tension that is required on the belt/drive gears to keep from slipping. I would probably look to add a support bearing right behind the large gear on the mill shaft to take up most of the side load..

Just thought I'd share my setup here. I use a very cheap meat grinder to drive my 3 roller monster mill. It does have reverse, but I've never needed to use it. It has a gear reduction built in, so both torque and RPM is where it needs to be + no side force from belt tension.

2dilts7.jpg

Edit: if anyone would be interested here's a link to a similar grinder on Amazon only it is actually a bit more powerful than the one I got (it is the successor).

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, congrats! Nice build!

Just thought I'd share my setup here. I use a very cheap meat grinder to drive my 3 roller monster mill. It does have reverse, but I've never needed to use it. It has a gear reduction built in, so both torque and RPM is where it needs to be + no side force from belt tension.

Cheers!

What did you use to couple the two shafts?

What did you use to couple the two shafts?

Well, the grinder has a hex head. I found a hex bit socket in my 'stash' that fits nicely. I then cut the handle off a bits screwdriver. The shaft of the screwdriver and the shaft of the mill luckily was pretty much the same (close to 10mm, maybe 3/8").
The shaft of the mill and the shaft of the screw driver was joined by a 10mm pipe compression fitting. The only tricky part was, that after the 'nut' and compression ring was slid on each shaft, the 'butts' of the shafts needed a few wraps of tape, before sliding them into the compression fitting house, to make it real snug. Otherwise it is impossible to get a straight joint when tightening the coupling.

Cheers!

Can anyone help me out with the wiring? Like your setup and I want to do almost the same thing. My motor has four wires. Two blue, one red and one white. One of the blue and the red are on the capacitor. The other blue and the white are separate. I figure the white is neutral and blue is hot. Do I need to keep the capacitor?
Thanks

Here is my attempt. It runs great until you add the grain. Not enough torque for the MM3 mill I guess. It stops dead. I will try again if I can find a larger pulley for the mill thats cheap.

mill.jpg

@jdr01: A larger pulley is probably the way to go, but in the meantime you try to limit the amount of grain it feeds and see if you can at least get it running. You can use cardboard and tape for example to make the hole in the bottom of the hopper smaller.
What RPM is it now?
I like that he pulley is on a shaft with bearings to spare the mill. Nice job!

I tried hand feeding it very small amounts but it jammed immediately. I do not know what the RPM's are but it turned much slower that my variable speed drill did.

@jdr01: Weird. I assume you've checked the gap as well. I know nothing about that motor, but just from the size of it, it looks like it would be able to at least crush *some* grains.
Good luck!

Here is my attempt. It runs great until you add the grain. Not enough torque for the MM3 mill I guess. It stops dead. I will try again if I can find a larger pulley for the mill thats cheap.

That is a very nice looking setup. Nicely done.

I would double check your gap to make sure you're not grinding flour. Do you have a video of it running? That might help some with suggestions.

Back