Bray's One Month Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did the BOMM recipe this weekend. Friday, Started with 40 oz of honey with 1 gallon of water.

SG was 1.110
added the K, and other nutrients as protocol requires.

Checked gravity last night and it was 1.064, the break in which I shouldve added the second round of nutrients called for 1.074. will this make a difference or am I reading and calculating wrong?

So far, compared to my other mead experiments I tried, this one tastes clean, smells clean and looks nice.

My other meads smelled horrible and tasted fusel.

how critical is the sugar break SNA? I missed it by a day or so and added the nutrients right before secondary...

also, I made a berry bomm and theres still sediment on secondary, will that drop? I never used a mesh.

on my regular bomm, theres sludge at the bottom and its in secondary?

how bad did I screw up?

Bray's One Month Mead aka "the BOMM" - 1 gallon
No heat method.
Added Orange Blossom honey to SG of 1.096 in 1 gallon jugs.
Added 3/4 tsp of 1:2 DAP:Fermaid K; also, add this at 2/3 and 1/3 sugar break.
Add 3/4 tsp potassium carbonate.
Shake like hell to aerate.
Pitched Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale activated overnight.
Aerate daily by shaking.
Pitching temperature 68 F, but the temperature in my house fluctuates from 70-80 F with no off flavors.

Hello sir. Thank you so much for recipe and all the work you've done on this topic. I have 2 questions for you.

1) It looks like you may have mis-stated the amount of Potassium Carbonate, as you have the same amount for 1 gallon and 5 gallon batches. If my understanding is correct, is the 1 gallon amount actually 1/6 TSP? (which is about 1.4 grams)

2) I understand you've used this Belgian yeast (wyeast 1388) strain quite a bit. My question is, do you perceive any "Belgian" characteristics in the finished mead? I am very sensitive to esters (don't like them), so I'm hoping it's not a belgiany estery mead that is made in this manner.

Thank you!

Also, I have a new nutrient schedule for the BOMM. For the original recipe gravity of 1.100, you add the following:
1. At must creation, add 0.25 tsp K2CO3, 0.4 tsp Fermaid K, 0.4 tsp Fermaid O per gallon.
2. At 1.076 and 1.046 gravity, add 0.4 tsp Fermaid O per gallon.

If you are doing higher or lower gravities, follow the guidelines here:
https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Liquid-yeast-SNA/

No, I've never had Belgian esters. In mead, this is an extremely neutral yeast.

2) I understand you've used this Belgian yeast (wyeast 1388) strain quite a bit. My question is, do you perceive any "Belgian" characteristics in the finished mead? I am very sensitive to esters (don't like them), so I'm hoping it's not a belgiany estery mead that is made in this manner.

I've noticed a little bit of that, but every yeast is going to leave some character for a while. This is just the best/least/fastest.
Start with a 1-gallon batch, follow the recipe exactly, make sure your yeast is as healthy and fresh as possible. For me, any minor character has aged out quite quickly.

Also, I have a new nutrient schedule for the BOMM. For the original recipe gravity of 1.100, you add the following:
1. At must creation, add 0.25 tsp K2CO3, 0.4 tsp Fermaid K, 0.4 tsp Fermaid O per gallon.

Oops. I JUST ordered the Fermaid K, DAP, and Potassium Carbonate. Oh well. Maybe I will get some Fermaid O eventually, and try the new schedule as well. I will endeavor to get the OG between 1.096 and 1.100. What is the usual finishing gravity? I was under the impression you end up with a pretty dry mead (actually, I think this is listed on page 2 or 3 now)

If you are doing higher or lower gravities, follow the guidelines here:
https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Liquid-yeast-SNA/

No, I've never had Belgian esters. In mead, this is an extremely neutral yeast.
How do you measure four tenths of a teaspoon?

Eyeball it is one way. I have a gram scale. In grams, it is 2 grams K2CO3, 1.89 grams Fermaid K, and 1.57 grams Fermaid O (per addition) per gallon.

I followed the (old) protocol exactly for my first 1 gallon batch of mead! It's bubbling away right now, and I am degassing every time I go to the basement. Tonight will be 48 hours so I am getting ready for the SNA.

I plan on backsweetening it a little bit (step-feeding) once it finishes dry.

If this goes well I want to next make a 3-gallon batch and then split it up into 3 different 1-gallon batches with different fruits!

Oh yeah, and the honey I used is nondescript honey from a very small producer who's hives are located on my FIL's ranch in South Dakota. I recently saw that Costco is selling Orange Blossom honey for pretty cheap right now, I think they are 3# jugs for $8.

That didn't take long! Added the nutrients at 1/3 fermentation, and I had my first Mead Accident Explosion. I lost about 8-10 ounces of sticky honey water/ mead. At least with the extra headspace it's easier to degass my mead. Seems like if I do several cycles there is STILL Co2 in solution. I haven't been able to get it all out yet.

Fermaid-K is getting hard to find, or when I do they want an arm + leg for it.

Are there any acceptable alternatives I could use, like brewvint or fermax?

If not please tell me where you are getting the Fermaid-K from.

I have a question about ending fermentation. Ive been using the bomm method for 2 months now and every mead i've made has been beyond good.

with that being said, I am now trying to start with a higher SG and finishing on the sweeter end. How do i end the fermentation so it doesn't go past 1.020?

So it's been 32 days since I pitched my mead and it looks fantastic. It's really cleared up. I haven't taken a gravity reading lately but last time it was 1.006 after just 2 weeks. My question is, if I want to back-sweeten, is it just as simple as adding some honey, and do I need to stir it up a bit?

Adding 4oz of honey to my sub-gallon mead will likely add about 13 points of gravity, and it may ferment a bit further, I'll be sure to take gravity before I add the honey. And then wait.... how long? Before I bottle it.

I tasted some last week, it was very white-wine like, slightly herbaceous - quite delicious. Very smooth, and most people wouldn't realize that you are drinking a 14% beverage! And this was room temp, might be even better chilled.

I want to try this, but I'd like to (eventually) make a 5 gallon batch since the 1388 is hard for me to get and kind of expensive for only a 1 gallon batch. I have all the stuff BUT I don't have a stir plate. What is the best way for a complete newbie to go:

1) Go ahead and try the 5 gallon batch and just shake the starter 3 or 4 times a day

2) Make a 1 gallon BOMM and then use that as the starter like Bray says to do on his page? In that case though, I'm not sure about all the amounts and when to add the subsequent "feedings"? He just says to make the 1 gallon and add to the remaining 4 gallons after 3-4 days. I need a little more direction than that since, by Day 3-4, you should have added more DAP and K, right?

OR

3) Make a 1 gallon BOMM and then, once it's "done" and has been racked off the lees, use that to start a 5 gallon batch. That way I get 6 gallons off the pack of 1388 and not just 1 or 5. If I can do that - and not kill the yeast or mess up all the honey for the subsequent 5 gallon batch, how - exactly - do I do it? Do I just treat the remaining yeast as if I was making the normal starter for a 5 gallon batch? And remember, I still don't have a stir plate (and don't intend to get one). I seem to recall reading though that left-over yeast like that is "stronger" than "new" yeast? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Please help! I don't want to mess this up - I don't have a lot of money to waste on ingredients.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Just start a one gallon batch per instruction. After 3-4 days pitch the whole one gallon batch into your five gallon batch. Treat the five gallon batch the same as if you were starting a new batch. The 1 gallon batch is acting as your starter.

Just start a one gallon batch per instruction. After 3-4 days pitch the whole one gallon batch into your five gallon batch. Treat the five gallon batch the same as if you were starting a new batch. The 1 gallon batch is acting as your starter.

So just subtract the ingredients used in the starter from the total amounts used in the 5 gallon recipe? Because there's a huge difference in the amounts used in the regular starter and a 1 gallon recipe. In the first place, the starter only uses 1/2 cup of honey and a gallon batch uses ~2.5 lbs and the starter is less than 2 liters total. And what do I do about the SNA? Several people have reported the first sugar break happening at Day 2.

:confused:

So just subtract the ingredients used in the starter from the total amounts used in the 5 gallon recipe? Because there's a huge difference in the amounts used in the regular starter and a 1 gallon recipe. In the first place, the starter only uses 1/2 cup of honey and a gallon batch uses ~2.5 lbs and the starter is less than 2 liters total. And what do I do about the SNA? Several people have reported the first sugar break happening at Day 2.

:confused:

I just updated the recipe to reflect a new SNA as well as adding some clarification. Follow the recipe as written and it will be fine. Please tell me if you are still unclear. Utter clarity is a moving target.

https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/BOMM5gallons/

I just bottled my first batch. 1.098 --> 1.000 ---> Added 30 points of honey ---> 1.022
This made it just about 14% and it tastes pretty sweet to me with that final gravity. Transferring to the bottling bucket wasn't flawless and about 10% of the lees made it into the bucket - and into the bottles, where it has dropped out rather quickly. I put them in 12oz bottles slightly underfilled, and capped with a beer capper. It's pretty much STILL but I wouldn't be surprised if a tiny amout of CO2 settles out into the bottles. I guess at 14% it could be considered a sack mead.

I just updated the recipe to reflect a new SNA as well as adding some clarification. Follow the recipe as written and it will be fine. Please tell me if you are still unclear. Utter clarity is a moving target.

https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/BOMM5gallons/

Sorry, still doesn't make sense to me how to add an already started 1 gallon batch to 4 gallons of...... what? What about feeding the 1 gallon batch? Then when it's added to 4 gallons (of?), start all over with the feedings?

*sigh* Guess I'm just not smart enough to figure it all out on my own so I'm just going to make a starter (without benefit of a stir plate), shake it a few times a day and hope for the best.

Sorry, still doesn't make sense to me how to add an already started 1 gallon batch to 4 gallons of...... what? What about feeding the 1 gallon batch? Then when it's added to 4 gallons (of?), start all over with the feedings?

*sigh* Guess I'm just not smart enough to figure it all out on my own so I'm just going to make a starter (without benefit of a stir plate), shake it a few times a day and hope for the best.

You're over thinking it.

Make a one gallon batch, pitch yeast wait a few days.

Make 4 gallon batch scaling linearly. Combine both the 1 gallon and 4 gallon batches.

Then BOOM you have BOMM.

Make the 5 gallon recipe with 1 gallon less water and add the starter. Only add the upfront addition for the 1 gallon BOMM. Clear now?

OK, what's worse (using the new SNA sched w/Fermaid O ): too much K or too little? I seem to experience brain farts when doing something important. :( I can't remember if I put in 1or 2 tsp. of K when I mixed up the must. I just pitched the starter about an hour ago...... Not sure how much difference it will make if I shorted the K.

Even if you added 2, it won't hurt anything. Wasteful, but not detrimental. Detrimental is to add it too late in the ferment.

Even if you added 2, it won't hurt anything. Wasteful, but not detrimental. Detrimental is to add it too late in the ferment.

Your recipe (for 5 gallons) calls for 2 upfront. I think I only put in 1.

SG was 1.1 when I pitched the starter last night. This afternoon, around 2pm, it was between 1.09 & 1.08. I going to degas again in a bit and fully expect it to be close enough to 1.076 to add the second round of Fermaid O.

As long as the bubbles don't interfere by sticking to the hydrometer, the reading should be the same at either point.

First few days generally blow through the airlock so there is no point. Also, some oxygen early in the ferment is beneficial.

I made up my starter on Monday. I messed up a little though because I only used 150ml water to 150ml honey. I realized my mistake and on Tuesday morning topped it off with water up to 1.5 liters.

Did I mess up badly and over stress the yeast? I want to pitch the starter tomorrow (Thursday) and begin my first BOMM. Will I have any issues, will it still turn out the same?

I have never made a starter before and I miss read something about making honey starters.

I have only made one batch of mead before, it's almost 2 years old and tastes awesome even though I made mistakes making that one. I am looking forward to having an awesome BOMM to add to my mead rack.

I also plan to make a back sweetened spiced BOMM later this summer after I gain experience making a traditional BOMM.

Edit: I'm using a stir plate on high speed for this starter.

Taste it. If it tastes ok, use it.

If it tastes like diesel(Fusels indicates very stressed yeast), don't use it. Instead, make another starter with about a tablespoon of the old. Taste again. No better sensor for stressed yeast then your tongue!

No fusel taste! It actually tastes drinkable lol. I know fusel taste from my first batch of mead when I racked it the first time as well as the rice wine I have made. No hotness on the tongue.

Another issue, reading further in the thread (I am about halfway through) People are using 2L starters. Should I top it off with 500ml of honey and water and let that ferment overnight or is the 1.5L starter as stated in the recipe on the first page still enough to use?

Cool! I thought so because that's what is says in the original recipe on the first page. It wasn't until I got more than halfway through the thread that I read about people making 2L starters. I started my BOMM today because the 1.5L seemed to be working for everyone to begin with. I made sure to use tablespoons and not teaspoon for my nutrients.

My BOMM:

SG: 1.100 exactly
3.5 gallons of water
4,125ml local berry farm honey (just over 5kg) (this is the best honey I have ever tried btw)
1tbsp Diammonium Phospate, 2tbsp Fermaid K, 3/4tbsp Potassium Carbonate
1.5L Wyeast 1388 yeast starter (3 days on stir plate)

Latest posts

Back