Brasserie Dupont Foret Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbigger

Reaction score
Is there any Kits out there that are near the same thing? I know the origional is organic which is not a big deal if the clone or kit is but I want to brew a beer like this for a friend. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Nick

I wasn't going to reply to this because I don't have a great answer for you, but seeing as nobody else has here are a few thoughts:

You don't mention if you are a grain or extract brewer. I am usually pretty positive about extract recipes, but saisons require some specific mash instructions and I'm not sure you are going to get a tight match to Dupont with extract. If you are just looking for a general saison, I made Northern Brewer's kit once a while ago and liked it.

I've never had Dupont's Foret, but the reviews I'm reading seem to suggest that it is similar in recipe to their Vieille Provision. Assuming you can do the grain mash, the recipe itself is ridiculously simple. Dupont is unusual in that they use 100% Dingeman's pilsener to an OG of around 1.055 (though the Foret seems to be a bit lower). A lot of other breweries use 10% wheat. For hops, something like 20 IBUs East Kent Goldings at 60 minutes, .5oz more at 15 minutes, and 1oz saaz or Goldings at flameout. You are going to get all of your character from the Dupont yeast, which is sold commercially as Wyeast 3724. Temperature control will be critical during fermentation. I've always had best luck pitching at 68 and then gradually ramping up to the mid-80s.

Hope this helps. I get the sense that you are looking for an extract kit. If that's the case, you'll have a hard time hitting Dupont with any precision. If you just want a good saison, any of the big brewshops will be able to hook you up. There is an extract recipe out there that I think was published in Clone Brews, but it is by the looks of it absolutely terrible.

Thanks MalFet,

That really does help, I am looking for a extract kit right now and I know that it problably would not be right on but wanted to see if there was one out there that may be similar to it. I was actully looking at that NB kit and will probably buy it today. I hope to move to all grain but right now I have a 2 year old and just purchased a house so I have a ton of projects.

Thanks again, Nick

Back