Brass as a dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I had a weldless bulkhead fitting and used a brass ball valve to connect. I then got the bright idea to use brass fittings inside to make a dip tube. Then I got thinking, is using brass in a boil kettle bad (lead, etc)? I could have done the copper dip tube but don't have the welding parts. So I thought this was easier. I understand the threads might be a breeding ground for bacteria (no different then mash tun) and it will get sanitized during the boil. More worried about the chemical issues. I couldn't find a thread of someone using brass for dip tubes. Thanks for any guidance.

I've never heard of using brass for your tube.. brass has things you don't want in the boil if you can help it, but copper has things you DO want. Copper really won't be that hard to solder, anyone can learn to solder. It will make things much easier for you. I would be glad to help you along with the soldering, as I'm sure many would here. Go for it and ask away!

Yes, brass still has some lead in it. But, you can still use it for brewing. The lead in brass is just surface lead.

By soaking the brass in 1 part peroxide and 2 parts distilled vinegar for about 15 minutes, it will remove the lead. Wait until the brass turns golden yellow, then rinse the brass and allow it to air dry.

Back