Brass and beer dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I recently started a thread in the Equip & Sanitation forum about brass fittings and beer dispensing, however, the responses have not offered any technical or scientific knowledge on the subject, so I figured I would post my question here to see if any of the chemists or metallurgists, or individuals that are generally savvy about the use of non-plated brass in the brewery might be able to provide a solid determination for me.

I am building a Randall, I have the brass fittings for it, there are only 3 small brass fittings that will come into contact with the beer during dispensing (two brass 3/8" MFL x 1/4" MFL adapters, and one brass 1/4" MFL tee).

My concern is not really about the leaching of lead into the beer by the fittings, but if the fittings may cause any off flavors since there will be long term contact with the beer while it is in the serving lines (contact with the tee) and the randall itself (contact with the two adapter fittings).

I recently read some info that discussed the acidity of the beer, and the increased acidity due to the carbonic acid formed by carbonation. The material claimed that the pH is quite low, and that the brass fittngs may be unsuitable for dispensing applications.

Are there any chemists, metallurgists, or simply someone who understands the science behind brass fittings and their possible affect on flavor due to long term contact with beer?

I am grateful for any information you can provide on the subject, thanks in advance.

Cheers.

No takers?

I recently listened to an episode of Brew Strong, however the main discussion was about brewing with brass, and not serving/dispensing, so I am still on the fence.

I can get the SS fittings but they are expensive (relatively), and if they aren't necessary I'd rather go without.

Please help :)

For my own peace of mind I'd go with SS, and I'm a pretty cheap, er, thrifty SOB. Just my 2 cents - I have no expertise in the field.

I have never seen un-plated brass used in any serving situation... there may be something to that? How much space between each fitting? if it is not much maybe just dump some through the lines before you fill your glass so as to not drink what has been sitting on the brass for a while. Or, build it, then if you notice any strange flavors after a while switch to SS if you don't notice any flavors then do not switch to SS and you saved the money.

funny, i was looking for info on the same thing, well kinda I'm not serving just using in a mash tun. I thought this might be worth a read
Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Metallurgy for Homebrewers - November 2007

I don't think it says much if any about serving but still has some good info On brewing & Metals.

Just saw these in the williams catalog J88 STAINLESS FAUCET UPGRADE LEVER.

replaces brass ball & lever in standard tap $2.90 each.

I am also slowly gathering Randall parts, and have been thinking about the steel fittings, but the brass is cheaper.

Alright I just purchased all of the necessary fittings in SS, so I will be returning the brass back to HD.

If anything I feel better about having all stainless while serving.

My faucets are stainless Perlicks, and pretty much everything else in my serving system is stainless, so it makes sense to have all my randall connections stainless. Plus it gives me peace of mind.

No worries, even if brass was acceptable, it won't be present in my draft system :)

Thanks, Cheers!

Back