Brands with Pry-off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do the same. I always enjoy people's faces when I reach for a lighter and pop open a beer mid-conversation.

BTW, is this a sticky in any of the forums? If not, could it/should it be?

It might not be quite sticky-worthy, but I'd love to see a Brew Wiki entry. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to learn how to write 'em and just do it myself if no one beats me to it.

I also appreciate this thread and for anyone who says 'just look at the bottles' you don't live in a state where beer is only sold by the case.

Often is the time when I have had to open case flaps on the sly to see if the bottles were pry off or twist off.

I bought some Anchor Beer in IL and they were twist offs. Three Floyds bottles are good to use, Two Brother, Goose Island.

I bought some Anchor Beer in IL and they were twist offs. Three Floyds bottles are good to use, Two Brother, Goose Island.

Goose Island are definitely a no go now. I remember them being pry-offs in the past but I bought a 12er for the super bowl and to my dismay :mad: they were twist offs...

I also appreciate this thread and for anyone who says 'just look at the bottles' you don't live in a state where beer is only sold by the case.

Often is the time when I have had to open case flaps on the sly to see if the bottles were pry off or twist off.

not trying to sound like an a$$ but if they sell a six pack, just double check before splurging on a case if you have the intention of reusing them. In most states I have been its sold both ways. Never herd of only cases.

Oh man... I grabbed my camera and headed for the fridge. I was all set to prove you wrong.

But yes, you are correct. Woodchuck has twist off caps, and I just threw away about about 3 dozen of them. Foot+mouth=me

Thanks for pointing that out though, I wouldn't have noticed until bottling time. :mug:

glad i saved you a pain in the a$$ come bottling.

not trying to sound like an a$$ but if they sell a six pack, just double check before splurging on a case if you have the intention of reusing them. In most states I have been its sold both ways. Never herd of only cases.

This would require me going to one store to check the six packs before going to the real store to buy the case. And it would be splurging on the sixpack not the case since the minimum price for a sixer of craft beer would be $18 on up to $30 or $40.

But thanks for the advice I never would have thought of checking the six packs if they sold them in the same store. :cross:

Hmmm, if only there were a list so that I wouldn't have to make two stops. Oh right! That is why I was appreciative of this thread.

And the state I'm referring to is the big one surrounding yours on a couple sides. Cheers! :mug:

This would require me going to one store to check the six packs before going to the real store to buy the case. And it would be splurging on the sixpack not the case since the minimum price for a sixer of craft beer would be $18 on up to $30 or $40.

But thanks for the advice I never would have thought of checking the six packs if they sold them in the same store. :cross:

Hmmm, if only there were a list so that I wouldn't have to make two stops. Oh right! That is why I was appreciative of this thread.

And the state I'm referring to is the big one surrounding yours on a couple sides. Cheers! :mug:

haha i see that now. my state is a suburb of your town...lol

In PA, you can't buy beer at supermarkets or ABC stores. Only bars and beer distributors can sell it. Bars usually only carry BMC, and beer distributors aren't allowed to sell less than a case.

So no six-packs unless you want BMC or happen to have an unusually awesome bar nearby. And even then, they can only sell you 2 "packages' at a time--if you want 3 six-packs, you buy 2, go put them in the car, come back, and buy 1 more.

oh lord that a pain in the a$$. just go to Downingtown and get some growlers of Victory. Or drive to Wilmington and save some loot that would only take 10 min or so.

haha i see that now. my state is a suburb of your town...lol

:) Actually pretty accurate. I lived in North Wilmington for a couple years after college and it took me less time to get to work on Rittenhouse Square then it does for me now with a Philly address.

In PA, you can't buy beer at supermarkets or ABC stores. Only bars and beer distributors can sell it. Bars usually only carry BMC, and beer distributors aren't allowed to sell less than a case.

So no six-packs unless you want BMC or happen to have an unusually awesome bar nearby. And even then, they can only sell you 2 "packages' at a time--if you want 3 six-packs, you buy 2, go put them in the car, come back, and buy 1 more.

I've always wondered what the reasoning is behind this. Why, exactly, can you only buy beer this way in PA?

The case prices are not too bad. (I think.) Flying Fish 6 pack $18 + tax (at local quick stop) Flying Fish Case $37 + tax

The case prices are not too bad. (I think.) Flying Fish 6 pack $18 + tax. Flying Fish Case $37 + tax

damn seriously drive to Delaware and buy your beer. even with gas going up again its still cheaper for you. I have never seen over 8.99 for a "normal" craft brews. The most i ever spent was $16 for Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard and I thought that was REALLLLYYYYY pricey.

I've always wondered what the reasoning is behind this. Why, exactly, can you only buy beer this way in PA?

I have no idea.

It's the only alcohol law I've heard of that MADD wants to relax--they'd rather let people buy beer in smaller quantities.

Last I heard there was a pretty strong growing movement in the state legislature to eliminate the case limit.

I felt like an ass the other day when I decided to put back a 4-pack of good looking pub-brown ale from Sprecher just because the bottles were twist off....My grocery store limits me enough without me limiting myself to pry offs.....damn! I'd be left only with three good brewery's to choose from (SN, New Glarus, Capital Brewery).....BTW, is Sprecher beer any good?

I'm not really sure of the reasoning behind it, but it certainly makes tasting different beers extremely cost-prohibitive. Very occasionally, you might find a speciality grocery or gourmet store that has the license to sell six-packs or singles, but it's spendy and quite rare. I just drive into Maryland (less than 10 miles from my front door), although I've not bought a single commercial beer in over two months given my homebrew stockpile.

The laws are definitely archaic and a general PITA.

Beck's bottles require a different size cap, as well as a different sized bell for the capper.

I think that it is the same as those used on the champagne bottles that will accept crown caps.

I'm thinking that this size difference may apply to some of the other imported green beer bottles as well.

Pogo

I'm not really sure of the reasoning behind it, but it certainly makes tasting different beers extremely cost-prohibitive. Very occasionally, you might find a speciality grocery or gourmet store that has the license to sell six-packs or singles

Those places are actually licensed as bars, then opt not to serve on-premises. It's truly bizarre.

I'm not really sure of the reasoning behind it, but it certainly makes tasting different beers extremely cost-prohibitive. Very occasionally, you might find a speciality grocery or gourmet store that has the license to sell six-packs or singles, but it's spendy and quite rare. I just drive into Maryland (less than 10 miles from my front door), although I've not bought a single commercial beer in over two months given my homebrew stockpile.

The laws are definitely archaic and a general PITA.

It was also really bad when I was building my collection of bottles. My wife likes Blue Moon so when I was going out to buy beer she would ask for that. And I could not do it! It was like $16 / six and $30 for a case and she only drinks one beer a month.

I no longer need reusable bottles since I have over 280 of them but I still cannot bring myself to buy any twist offs. I feel like I am paying a $.50 tax on any bottle that I can't reuse.

Then again, I have not bought any in a few months and I still have 20 of the 24 that I bought back then.

I felt like an ass the other day when I decided to put back a 4-pack of good looking pub-brown ale from Sprecher just because the bottles were twist off....My grocery store limits me enough without me limiting myself to pry offs.....damn! I'd be left only with three good brewery's to choose from (SN, New Glarus, Capital Brewery).....BTW, is Sprecher beer any good?

Wait; you're from WISCONSIN and can't find good beer!? That sounds like crazy-talk to me!

And yes, Sprecher is VERY good. If you go to the brewery (also in Wisconsin) you can get alcoholic Root Beer. Otherwise you can buy the non-alcoholic stuff and it is DELICIOUS.

Man, I wish Founder's beer had pop-off bottles. Everything they do is great, except the twist offs...

A thought occurs... This would make for a nice Wiki entry. It would be nice to have a database of bottles people have had success with reusing. This would prevent me from buying another 2 cases of Boulevard (which comes in a closed box, so you can't see the bottles until you get them home) only to learn that they are twist off.

Yeah it really sucks that Boulevard uses twist offs being that it's so widely available in the Midwest, and I enjoy their beer.

I no longer need reusable bottles since I have over 280 of them but I still cannot bring myself to buy any twist offs. I feel like I am paying a $.50 tax on any bottle that I can't reuse.

Sounds like you need to start brewing more!! :mug:

I have a bunch of Stella bottles that I am going to use, took the labels off and tried capping it. From the looks of this thread a lot of people ran into the same situation as me, the cap didn't fit securely on the bottle.

Apparently if you use a 29mm cap, it will work just fine. Just remember to get the correct size crimping cup and you should be all set.

I would imagine that this would be helpful for a lot of other international brews that don't seem to take regular bottle caps.

Didn't notice Schlafly's (St. Louis Brewing) on the list. They use crown caps (pry-offs), and it's a good bottle, and (for removal) BEST LABELS EVER. Wish I could say the same for their beer, but I only like their stout and their dry-hopped APA. I've got a lot of Sam Adams, Red Hook, Newport Storm, Flying Dog, etc., and they all work. I've got some half-liter Euro beers, too (Franziskaner, Paulaner) and have no trouble capping them.....but I use Grandpa's old Prohibition-era bench capper, which may have something to do with it.

A heads-up: if you're looking for a sturdy larger (750ml) bottle, Martinelli's bottles their sparkling (non-alcoholic) cider in pry-offs. If you know any teetotaling cider-loving friends, steer them that way, then offer to recycle the bottles for them. I have used this bottle, and it caps fine with a regular crown cap, but wing cappers are dicey; use a bench capper if you have one.

Reusable bottle catch o' the year: The Tröeg's Mad Elf 101 oz. flip-top bottle.

Troegs Brewing Company

The EMPTY bottle weighs more than a small dog. It is awesome (and the beer ain't bad, from what I hear). My son scored one from some people, who had heard him talk about homebrewing and said "We got this funky bottle left over from a party....it's in the recycling....think you'd want it?"
Ya think?

New Belgium bottles are pry off, but I've been having the worst luck with them breaking in my wing capper. I'm not reusing them anymore. It's a shame since I like their beer and buy it regularly.

The very first home brew I did which was about 2 months ago.I typically drink a few beers at home after work.I drink a beer with twist off lids.I decided I would do a little experiment,I boiled my lids I twisted off and poured a freshly open beer into a old sanitized bottle and put the lid I had boiled on it.After 1 week I opened it to think oh this is going to be flat,well it was fresh and crisp as a new beer.That being said my first brew I did I used twist off lids and screwed them back on with my hands and they were fresh as you could ask for.

Several years ago some craft breweries started moving from twist-offs to pop-tops if they weren't using the latter already. Summit Brewing here went through that switch 10 years or so ago, and there were others doing it. Perhaps it was marketing (twisties evoked a sort of "BMC" image), and there was the belief that pop-tops are better at sealing out air over the long term. Pop-tops were a kind of a de facto sign of real craft beer.

But more recently I've been seeing some craft brewers moving back to twist-offs. Maybe there is a cost savings, maybe they have improved the seal (or they're not worried about it as it will likely be consumed quickly). Maybe the fact that craft beer is more mainstream and a lot of buyers really don't care and they like the convenience. Maybe it's because so many craft breweries are now owned by major companies and that's what they have for bottling lines.

I used to use pop-top as one criteria for buying beer in the store, as I was building up a supply of bottles. If I needed a tie-breaker between two beers to buy, the pop-top won. Now that I have more bottles than I need (yeah, I still bottle), it's nice to just buy a beer I want, regardless if it's in pop-tops, twisties, or cans.

Latest posts

Back