Brand new Immersion Chiller is the best thing ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
I just wanted to celebrate my first run at using the new immersion chiller I got for Christmas. Copper 50', it cooled down 3 gallons of wort from boiling to 65F in 15-20 minutes. I didn't even have time to rehydrate my yeast.

And for the first time since I started brewing, I've had time to clean up afterward before going to bed. I love it.

Great present Mom!

:ban::ban::ban: BANANA DANCE IN CELEBRATION OF POST #600:ban::ban::ban:

Yeaaaaah to counterflow!!!
(obviously, a brewer has to look at price vs time and in my case, my time is limited so shaving time off waiting for wort to cool adds up at the end of a long day/night)

My bro used to brew and gave me his whole setup a while back. He never got an IC, in several years of brewing. Just got me one for Christmas and I love it!!!

Now you have to find creative things to do so you don't waste the water. I capture the first few G of warm water into a bucket to use for cleaning up, the rest I let drain into the washer and run a load of clothes with it. So I am not dumping any of the chill water down the drain without re-purposing it.

My bro used to brew and gave me his whole setup a while back. He never got an IC, in several years of brewing. Just got me one for Christmas and I love it!!!

Now you have to find creative things to do so you don't waste the water. I capture the first few G of warm water into a bucket to use for cleaning up, the rest I let drain into the washer and run a load of clothes with it. So I am not dumping any of the chill water down the drain without re-purposing it.

Constant striring while using the IC will really speed things up and cut the cooling time in half.

ALSO

With a small cheap fountain pump and a bucket you could just recirculate the water. Add ice to the bucket for cooling. With this method you can cool to much lower temps then with tap water. For people who have warm tap water this is a must do.

I don't see where the real problem is here (at least with me). My water comes from a well. I just let the water run right back into the ground where it can find its way back to the well. Maybe it evaporates and becomes rain.

But then again, if we're in a drought (like Georgia was the past few years) then I can see it being a problem...

:mug:

I don't see where the real problem is here (at least with me). My water comes from a well. I just let the water run right back into the ground where it can find its way back to the well. Maybe it evaporates and becomes rain.

But then again, if we're in a drought (like Georgia was the past few years) then I can see it being a problem...

:mug:

Some people pay for water. In certain areas of the US it gets expensive and wasting water is frowned on.

Back