Brand New - Complete Newbie Questions - Pt. 2 - Buying Rhizomes/Plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewPA_Brewer

Reaction score
Whats the best site/place to buy rhizomes or plants? I saw great lakes sells full plants, is this the best route to go?

What are some sites (or physical locations) that people recommend?

Do you recommend going rhizomes or going full plant?

I really like freshops.com, but they don't usually list available varieties until spring. Their "regular" rhizomes are much larger than the crayon-sized rhizomes my LHBS tended to carry. IME, Freshop's regular-sized rhizomes will usually bear cones the first year. If you can get your hands on their "jumbo" rhizomes, you're pretty much guaranteed a decent harvest the first season.

I ordered a cascade plant from Great Lakes Hops, I liked their variety and felt more comfortable with a plant than a rhizome. No cones to speak of in year one but this past year two had a decent harvest. I think if I tended to it more the harvest would have been larger. I want to get more plants and plan to order from them again.

Whatever route. I think you are jumping the gun by 3-4 months. Most take pre-orders in late winter for planting in early spring, April to May.

The 50+ retail varieties we offer are available year-round and are pretty much always in stock. No need to pre-order. Just order when you are ready to plant. Although we do have a lot of people that order all through the winter months. The plants they receive are pulled from outside under snow and are dormant. We thoroughly check each plant for healthy viable roots and crown buds before they are sent. Ordering in the spring however will guarantee you get a nice plant with some fresh top growth ready for the growing season!

Back