brand new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pile5143

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post although I have been using this awesome site as a reference for a few weeks. I brewed my first 5 gal batch of American cream ale last night. I finished around 11 pm. I pitched my nottingham yeast at 77 degrees and it is sitting at 70 degrees in the the fermenter now. My og was 1.050 where it was supposee to be. I was wondering how long should it be till I see bubbles in my air lock. Also were these the right temperatures for the yeast and to be sitting at now? Sorry I'm new, but extremely interested in brewing and want to learn all I can.

HAPPY BREWING!

I am also from upstate new york. I am located right in between saratoga and lake George. I am looking for any advice/guidance while starting out my new hobby!

Welcome to the site and the obsession! Everything seems to be in order there, the temps sound good to me anyways. Also, you should be seeing some bubble activity... ... oooh, right about now? You came to a great place, have fun here and with your brews.

BrianHitsCar said:
Welcome to the site and the obsession! Everything seems to be in order there, the temps sound good to me anyways. Also, you should be seeing some bubble activity... ... oooh, right about now? You came to a great place, have fun here and with your brews.

It is bubbling away now..thanks

When fermenting the wort will gain a few degrees. If possible I would lower the temperature into the mid sixties.

Don't worry about whether there are bubbles or not. (they are fun to watch but if it doesn't bubble there is not necessarily any problem.) Wait 10 to 14 days and take a gravity reading, wait another day or two and take another If the readings are the same the fermentation is finished. Many will then leave it in primary for another 2-3 weeks then bottle.

Most of all have fun, And get another kit ordered and brew more you will be surprised how soon your supply will dwindle, also, you will want more choices.

Latest posts

Back