Bran New to all things beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love2Learn

Reaction score
Hello, I am just starting to learn the very basics about brewing. I was inspired to learn because a new brewery called Black Narrows had this outstanding chocolate, sweet, smoooooooth stout on nitro that I couldn't take home with me so I'm pretty much set on finding away to make it. Hence I'm here. I'm not afraid of chemistry since I have been making soap from scratch (with oils and lye and beer!) for years now in micro batches. Research is the most important thing to me before I start anything so I'm hoping this will be a great place to learn. Thank you in advanced to all the brew masters that have worked hard and learned the tricks of the trade and spent so long perfecting their beers. Thank you to this website for allowing others to learn.

I haven’t brewed very many dark beers yet. I did make one coffee stout and it was very good. Smooth but not sweet at all. One thing about malts, there’s one called chocolate malt that to me doesn’t taste very much like chocolate at all. It’s a great malt for dark beers, but if I was going for a chocolate beer, I think I would throw in coco nibs right as I took my boil kettle off the heat.

Hello, I am just starting to learn the very basics about brewing. I was inspired to learn because a new brewery called Black Narrows had this outstanding chocolate, sweet, smoooooooth stout on nitro that I couldn't take home with me so I'm pretty much set on finding away to make it. Hence I'm here. I'm not afraid of chemistry since I have been making soap from scratch (with oils and lye and beer!) for years now in micro batches. Research is the most important thing to me before I start anything so I'm hoping this will be a great place to learn. Thank you in advanced to all the brew masters that have worked hard and learned the tricks of the trade and spent so long perfecting their beers. Thank you to this website for allowing others to learn.

If you want to replicate their beer just keep in mind you're going to have to invest in a nitro set-up. Perhaps a rhetorical comment, but just thought I'd cover the basis :)

Welcome from Florida! Don't be afraid to ask no stupid questions here. Good luck on your journey, after you make a beer yourself you will be hooked!

John

Or there are ways to fake the nitro effect, even with bottle carbed beers, like pulling up a syringe full of the beer and shooting it into the glass (helps if the beer is carbed quite low).

Welcome from Florida! Don't be afraid to ask no stupid questions here. Good luck on your journey, after you make a beer yourself you will be hooked!

John
Be wary of stupid answers though, some of us can't resist, especially after a few brews.

Welcome! You've done a good 1st step in joining this forum.
2nd step- buy a copy of John Palmer's 'How to Brew'. Get the 2017 version. Read it, study it, highlight it, go back and read it again. While you're waiting for your copy to arrive, there is an online version that is two versions old, but still has quite a bit of useable info.
3rd step- go back to Black Narrows, and armed with a little knowledge, chat them up. Let them know you're interested. They'll be flattered. Brewers love talking about their beers!

Back