Bought my first home!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, I've been on hiatus from HBT for a while, but I should be back in commission soon. My fiance and I just bought our first home so I should have plenty of space to brew (be it the very large basement, 2 car garage, patio, etc. w00t) and plenty of space to finally have my friends over to share homebrew out of my kegerator (2 living rooms/family rooms that measure somewhere around 25x14 each and ample other living and entertaining space).

Did I mention I got the fridge and a chest freezer thrown in on the deal, which I will not really need b/c I am buying new appliances. Yes, at least one of them will be dedicated to beer related adventures - lagering fridge perhaps, maybe with an extra tap or two since I have extra kegs!? I think I'll use the chest freezer for food, but there are endless possibilities if not...

In addition to getting back on my brewing horse, it will just be nice to be out and have my own place even though the large monthly bill will be a change of pace LOL. I'm tired of living on the road (travelled a lot for work previously), at my fiances, and in my parents basement when I have nowhere else to go. The lack of mortgage and/or even rent was nice, but I feel like a bum and am ready to grow up!

Also can't shake a stick at the $8,000 stimulus, 5.0% interest I got before points, etc.

Also excited to have a new "hobby" of home ownership and projects. The exterior of the house is near mint, as is the lawn, landscaping, etc. so not much to do there. House has all the structural soundness and fundamental items in good condition (heating/cooling, roof, new windows, etc.). Overall very well maintained, but the interior decorating is a little dated as the previous owner was older and had bad taste in wallpaper and carpets.

Luckily there is hardwoods under everything and he didn't even tack or glue most of the carpets (he did in maybe 2 rooms)... So, I got some projects in mind from wallpaper removal and painting, to carpet pulling, to potential hardwood refinishing (if needed), to possibly some tile or cork floor laying in the kitchen, etc. Should be a learning experience and hopefully fun! Wish me luck! :ban:

Congrats! I just wrote an earnest money check last night on what I hope will be our first house. We're right behind ya! :D

Welcome to the house of pain!!! :D

Seriously, the first house thing is a feeling that is right up there with A) Finding out what happens when you climb a rope in gym class B) You find out that gym ropes and girls are somehow strangely related

First home ownership is a huge milestone in your life. Congrats! :D

Thanks fellas and congrats ChshreCat!

It means a lot coming from you guys, but especially McKBrew, my fellow JK unlimited owner. Ha-ha.

Good thing I got the JEEP mods I wanted (and have some more paid for and stored away in the garage for the future use) before I got myself into this mess. Even though I have a softtop now, it will be nice to have a garage to install a hard-top hoist for when I need it, my own garage to work in (as opposed to parents or future in-laws), and I have at least 6" of clearance in the garage for a little more lift and tires (when I burn through these). LOL.

Congrats man. I would recommend sending the $8K documents certified mail. The govt has been holding on my brothers check for a few months because they claim to have not received the packet twice now. He finally sent it certified and the check is being process.

Congrats man. I would recommend sending the $8K documents certified mail. The govt has been holding on my brothers check for a few months because they claim to have not received the packet twice now. He finally sent it certified and the check is being process.

Oh man, thanks for the recommendation. I was going to see if there was a way to do it e-file since I filed my original taxes that way, but if not, I will certify the mail!

Can't send it in until we get closed on the place anyway in a couple weeks...

Congrats on the upgrade. I won't say you won't look back, but it's nice to know you're not lining someone else's pockets each month.

The longer you live there, the more things you'll find aren't up to your standards, that's the folly of being a DIYer.

We've been in our first house for just over a year. All the brew space is awesome. Good Luck!

Congrats on the upgrade. I won't say you won't look back, but it's nice to know you're not lining someone else's pockets each month.

Have you seen an amortization table for a 30 year mortgage? Trust me you're lining someones pockets.

Latest posts

Back