Bottling yeast choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betty_ford

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am relatively new to sour brewing, and am about ready to bottle my first batch fermented with some yeast bay cultures and HF/RR/veil dregs. I've read the entirety of American Sour Beers, and browsed the web quite a bit. I know that you can re-yeast with both a neutral ale yeast, or a champagne/wine yeast at bottling (I've read about 2g per 5 gal), but wanted to see what some folks were doing these days and wanted to take a small poll...

1. Do you re-yeast?
2. Which strain do you prefer?
3. Do you notice any major differences between various strains of bottling yeast (if you have experience with more than 1)?

Second to this...
I know champagne/wine yeasts produce mycocins that will inhibit sach growth/is directly cytotoxic. I ideally would be able to use bottles of this beer to re-inoculate further batches in the years to come, but this is a concern (thus I will be saving a jar of my culture to propagate prior to bottling though just to be sure). Though I have also read that after a significant portion of time in the fermentation environment produced by brett/lacto/pedio, these strains may actually die off. Can anyone comment on this scenario, and would it ultimately affect your choice of yeast strain for bottling?

Really appreciate any help!

Last edited:
I add yeast to avoid THP.

I use EC-1118 with an acid tolerance starter (AKA acid shock starter). I haven't tried other strains, but I would consider using D47 or BM45.

I keep a yeast ranch of Brett cultures.

I've been using Premier Cuvee from Red Star. I may be wrong, but I think it's similar to EC-118. The first time I didn't re-yeast, I got poor bottle attenuation. THP will reportedly fade in time, but why chance it?

If only pitching dregs from a bottle or two, you shouldn't have to worry about killer strains if you already have a healthy pitch of Sacch.

I have it on good authority that Speciation Ales in MI will re-yeast with Belle Saison if they don't use champagne yeast. I wouldn't do that unless the beer was really dry.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably just end up harvesting prior to dry hopping and keep that alive long term. Will likely use that for the next batch and pitch with saison yeast in order to avoid suppressing the lactobacillus as well.

i used to not pitch at bottling, but that just resulted in a longer wait for the beer to be ready so eff that - i now re-pitch, each time.

i used 71-B, which is not a killer strain. funny thing is, killer/non-killer isn't a deal-breaker for me, since i always primary clean (sacch-only), and add bugs in secondary.

i used to not pitch at bottling, but that just resulted in a longer wait for the beer to be ready so eff that - i now re-pitch, each time.

i used 71-B, which is not a killer strain. funny thing is, killer/non-killer isn't a deal-breaker for me, since i always primary clean (sacch-only), and add bugs in secondary.
perfect, thanks for the response!

Back