Bottling yeast choice for a Witbier/Saison blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be bottling a witbier/saison blend in a couple weeks. It's currently lagering, so a bottling yeast is a must. I also used wyeast 3944 (belgian witbier) and wyeast 3711 (french saison) in fermentation.

The available ones I have on hand are the witbier, and a blend of the two I got from fermentation, or belgian ale. I don't know what (if any) kind of flavor profile I want, and I know not too much will come from a bottling yeast, but just curious for advice.

The first thing that comes to mind is to ask why you are lagering a blend of two beers that are traditionally cloudy.

I would just bottle with the same yeast used for fermentation, although it will probably make your beer slightly hazy again. So if that clear appearance is really important then you need a strain that will flocc out.

The first thing that comes to mind is to ask why you are lagering a blend of two beers that are traditionally cloudy.

I would just bottle with the same yeast used for fermentation, although it will probably make your beer slightly hazy again. So if that clear appearance is really important then you need a strain that will flocc out.

I fail to see how lagering would clear anymore than chilling a beer prior to drinking.

Anyways, I don't particularly care one way or the other for about the appearance. I find, generally, my beers tend to just taste better when they have at least have a minimal time lagering. This, of course, is observed through vague empirical observation, and no sort of scientific method of analysis is involved.

Back