Bottling with Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflo101

Reaction score
Besides not looking as cool are there any other cons with bottling in plastic bottles? I am going to be bottling in several days and am trying to scrounge up some bottles. I am going to just prime each one individually so right now I have a couple 40 oz. bottles and about 15 12oz. bottles, and was just wondering how plastic would work out.

If you are using standard pop bottles (coke, pepsi, etc) they will work just fine. I would hit your LHBS and get some fresh caps though. Otherwise a good soak in oxyclean will get any residual sugar off.

The main thing is to be sure that they are PET plastic.

tflo101 said:
Besides not looking as cool are there any other cons with bottling in plastic bottles? .

Yes there are.

Clear plastic allows light to skunk your beer.

Keep them away from light by putting them in brown paper bags or card board boxes and you should be OK. The tops are good for at least 3 - 4 reseals. More than that if you want to press your luck.

Back