Bottling while beer still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTR08

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) first post here...

I brewed an experimental 3 gallon brown ale with bitter orange peel and coriander, some brown and white sugar, used some leftover California ale yeast from a previous batch (Janet's Brown ale) and got a delicious batch of about 7% abv beer.

I was intending to bottle the beer on Monday (from secondary fermenter), and I was making some wort for krausening, as well as feeding some other yeasties... unfortunately, in my frustration at the officiating of the game (a different matter), I mindlessly dumped the whole gallon of gyle I had produced into the ale pale, with all of the beer in it...... And back into the carboy it all went.

End of the day, it was not such a bad mistake. Now my experimental batch is a bit more experimental. Also went from 3 to 4 gallons, always a plus. Unfortunately, I didn't take a gravity reading either on the gyle... However, one thing I can say is it is delicious. I just sampled it, and I am quite pleased with the results, though now I'm left unsure of the ABV, ect...

So, now I am wondering--what would happen if I bottle the beer from the carboy, as it is, say today or tomorrow? Would I be able to get decent carbonation this way? I am thinking maybe I can get a similar amount as if I were to wait until the fermentables were converted, and then primed....

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I would take a gravity reading and then do a guesstimate/extrapolation as to remaining fermentables. It might save you from flat beer or bottle bombs.

You really need to wait, as you have no way of guessing the remaining fermentables. Just a couple extra gravity points spells the difference between proper carbonation and bottle bombs.

Back