Bottling too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pplejay

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer that has been in primary for 7 days now. The airlock hasn't. Bubbled for 3 days. Without taking the final gravity, can I assume it's ready for. Bottling? Or should I wait another week?

Not really. It has probably finished fermenting, but, most agree that the yeast will continue to work cleaning up off flavors etc. 3-4 weeks in primary is commonly used. A wheat beer is one that is done quickly but I would go 2 -3 in primary then bottle.

That said, I got busy doing other things on my days off on my last, a wheat beer and left it in primary for 4 weeks.

Gravity readings are the only reliable way to tell if fermentation is completed.

Thanks for the responses. I'll take some readings today and then on Sunday. If the readings are the same is it normal for the beer to finish fermenting that quickly?

Thanks for the responses. I'll take some readings today and then on Sunday. If the readings are the same is it normal for the beer to finish fermenting that quickly?

Sure. A well made beer (proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature) can ferment out in 24-48 hours but almost always is done within 5 days. But that doesn't mean it's ready to be packaged. After active fermentation is finished, the yeast will go back and digest less desirable foods, like their own waste products. That means that even after the beer reaches FG (final gravity), the yeast aren't done right away.

After they digest some of these compounds, then they will have no more food left and begin to fall to the bottom of the fermenter. That time period is fairly obvious in a carboy, as the beer will start to clear from the top down. As it clears, it will appear darker at the top until it's clear all the way to the bottom. THAT'S when it's ready to bottle.

In my experience, almost all of my beers are ready to be packaged (finished fermenting, been at a stable gravity for at least several days, and is clear) at about day 14 to day 20.

Back