Bottling Time!!! Couple Questions :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisco87

Reaction score
So my apple pie spiced cider has finally cleared and it's time to bottle! The FG is at.996 !!! When I first started I went to my HBS and he gave me a million little baggies of various things I would need throughout my adventure.

Right now my bottles have about 1 oz. of Sodium meta sitting in the bottom to sanitize. All my equipment is sitting in a bucket doing the same. Now, while cleaning the outside of my bottles I noticed one of the baggies my HBS gave me was Potassium Meta. I have read on here and various other locations that JUST K-meta will not kill the yeast. Is this true?

I bought some carb tabs that I am going to use so I do NOT want to kill my yeast. Should I use the K-meta or just put my cider in the bottle, cap, and age?

WoooHoo!! FINALLY BOTTLE TIME!!! Sorry...I am excited. And...I got a new 1950 Packard Bell radio I get to refurbish!!! Projects a hoy!

How long since you first pitched the yeast? Have you let it sit long enough to let the yeasts clean up after themselves and clear?

I don't use K-meta in the bottling process but some people do.

An exact date? I don't have one...a fairly accurate time frame...well over a month. It's going on 2 months now. There hasnt been any airlock activity now for over 2 weeks but I continued to let it sit because I saw a few bubbles rising up from the depths of the cider (very small bubbles). However, now it is as still as night.

Have you taken a couple of SG readings a day or two apart? Are they staying the same or still dropping? if they are the same you should be fine. The bubbles could be CO2 in the cider and not new fermentation. Has the yeast dropped out and its clear?

Well I just finished bottling...48 beer bottles later and I am done! I tasted it and BOY IS IT GOOD!!! As soon as it hits your tongue it tastes like Apple Pie (exactly what I was going for) then as you swallow it tastes like a dry dessert wine. That was just the still sample. I am sure it is going to taste even better after the carbonating is done in the bottles. Should make a good Christmas or new years gift. The seasonings hide the high ABV pretty well.

Back