Bottling stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exoreality

Reaction score
I brewed a Midnight Beatdown Wheaton Porter from Northern Brewer. OG 1.060, I'm at 1.032 after 5 weeks. I just want to bottle it but I'm afraid if I use my usual 5 oz of dextrose priming sugar I may end up with exploding bottles. Any suggestions?

What have you done to try to get the fermentation going again and was this an all grain or extract. If all grain what temp did you mash at?

I haven't done anything yet. I hadn't taken a reading until today before bottling. because I've never had this issue before.

Mashing at 154 will give you some unfermentable sugars but I think you need to do something to get fermentation going again. You can try giving the fermenter a little swirl to rouse the yeast. You could try racking to secondary and pitching another packet of yeast. You can try making a small yeast starter and pitch active yeast into the fermenter. I think it still has some fermenting to do so I would not bottle it.

I believe i under pitched. I made a yeast starter, it was my first. It went well but I made a mistake at picthing. I just poured in the top liquid. I didn't shake it before hand so the cake never made it into the wort.

That sounds like it could be the culprit. I would pitch another packet of yeast and it will probably finish out in just a few days.

Back