Bottling question!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkwarn3

Reaction score
I have an IPA that I put to fermentation in my bottling bucket......sealed up nice and tight! Checked a reading today and its ready to bottle! Noticed some floating hops and what not in the beer! Will these clog the pour spout when I go to bottle! Thanks for your feedback. Cheers!

I guess you're using carb drops? I suppose it will work, I've never done it that way though. A little hops in your homebrew is ok i guess, I like to condition the beer until it is fairly clear, etc, to each his own.

How long has the beer been in primary for? I agree with COLObrewer, I condition all my beers in secondary prior to bottling. Try to give your beer at least 3 weeks in primary before you bottle it and I would ONLY do that if I had the ability to cold crash. If I didn't have that ability, I would secondary and let it age a week or two prior to bottling. If you only have the one vessel, then might be able to just add the priming solution to the primary then bottle but I wouldn't do that because I would be afraid of getting to much yeast in my bottles and getting a nasty yeast flavor from it.

When I bottle I typically add about 1.25 cups of DME to a pint of water and let that boil for about 5 - 10 minutes. I then cool it in a water bath and add that to my bottling bucket prior to bottling.

How long has the beer been in primary for? I agree with COLObrewer, I condition all my beers in secondary prior to bottling. Try to give your beer at least 3 weeks in primary before you bottle it and I would ONLY do that if I had the ability to cold crash. If I didn't have that ability, I would secondary and let it age a week or two prior to bottling. If you only have the one vessel, then might be able to just add the priming solution to the primary then bottle but I wouldn't do that because I would be afraid of getting to much yeast in my bottles and getting a nasty yeast flavor from it.

When I bottle I typically add about 1.25 cups of DME to a pint of water and let that boil for about 5 - 10 minutes. I then cool it in a water bath and add that to my bottling bucket prior to bottling.

I'm curious why you use dme for priming?

How long have you been in primary? My beers usually hit FG in 4 or 5 days, but are in no way ready to bottle. You need to let your yeast clean up the mess they make during fermentation (ie. off flavors). Letting your beer sit will also improve clarity.

Do you have any other container to siphon into? If you have hops floating, then more than likely there is a pile on the bottom, not to mention yeast and normal trub. I would siphon the beer into a different container so you can clean your bottling bucket. Also, I have never personally used carb drops, but I have heard nothing good about them. I always use dextrose to carb my beers.

I used to use the priming sugar for carbing, but switched to DME for a more traditional way to condition. I find that I get less sweetness from the DME that I would from the sugar leaving a more natural flavored beer. Its all personal preference.

jmh286 said:
How long have you been in primary? My beers usually hit FG in 4 or 5 days, but are in no way ready to bottle. You need to let your yeast clean up the mess they make during fermentation (ie. off flavors). Letting your beer sit will also improve clarity.

Do you have any other container to siphon into? If you have hops floating, then more than likely there is a pile on the bottom, not to mention yeast and normal trub. I would siphon the beer into a different container so you can clean your bottling bucket. Also, I have never personally used carb drops, but I have heard nothing good about them. I always use dextrose to carb my beers.

I have a 5 gallon carboy that I can transfer to. I think maybe that would be the best solution. It's been in primary for 3 weeks! After I transfer to the carboy, how long would you leave it there for?

I like 2 week secondaries but I think a week would be fine. Plus it frees up your bucket so you can bottle and not have all that yeast and trub in the bottles.

COLObrewer said:
I guess you're using carb drops? I suppose it will work, I've never done it that way though. A little hops in your homebrew is ok i guess, I like to condition the beer until it is fairly clear, etc, to each his own.

I'm a newbie at this and I'm unfamiliar with carb drops! I didn't have another bucket for fermenting and was told that you could use the bottling bucket and then transfer to bottles at the right time! I think I will transfer it to a glass carboy, let it sit, and then bottle it! Thanks!

TahoeRy said:
I like 2 week secondaries but I think a week would be fine. Plus it frees up your bucket so you can bottle and not have all that yeast and trub in the bottles.

Yes! I think that would be the best! Thanks for the info!
Cheers!

If it has been at FG for a while just siphon to the carboy, clean the bucket, boil your bottling sugar and add to the bottling bucket and then siphon back on top. Three weeks is plenty of time to bottle.(Just be ready to wait to drink your already bottled beer :cross:)

I don't consider my beer ready to bottle until it's clear. No more floaties. Makes a hydrometer unneeded, readings will say it's ready long before it's truly ready. Bottle when you can see through it. Get extra fermenters.

jmh286 said:
If it has been at FG for a while just siphon to the carboy, clean the bucket, boil your bottling sugar and add to the bottling bucket and then siphon back on top. Three weeks is plenty of time to bottle.(Just be ready to wait to drink your already bottled beer :cross:)

How long should the bottles sit before consumption? I'm more than ok to wait....just want a good finished product! Thanks!

2-3 weeks, then chill 24-48 hrs if that's your thing to help settle the CO2 back into the beer..or so they say.

It's true. 48+ hours in the fridge is best. I condition in the bottles for minimum if three weeks then put in the fridge. You can drink them as soon as there cold but the CO2 absorbs into the liquid and you get a much better head after a few days in the fridge. The worst part about brewing is the wait, right.

Latest posts

Back