Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd120

Reaction score
So I bottled tonight, and some of my 22 oz. bottles were not quite full.

Is it worse to have bottles too full, or not full enough, and at what point is either a problem?

How much are we talking?

Like half full or just an inch or so less than the others?

While it's best to have a uniform amount and about an inch or so from the top I don't think it matters ALL that much.

I've popped a few bottles that were full to the cap and the carbonation was fine...sure I spilled a little but as far as carbonation (which I'm guessing is what your asking about) goes it was fine.

Also, a buddy of mine gave me some old ale he brewed that was lower that I normally fill to (about the start of the neck) and again the carb was fine

Hope this helps

yeah, you want a little headspace at the top. an inch/inch and a half tops.

use a bottle filling wand. it lets you fill from the bottom to avoid oxidation, and displaces the right amount of space so that you have proper headspace when you pull it back out.

I wouldn't worry about what you have going now. In the future, pick up a spring loaded bottle filler; you fill up to the top of the bottle and when you take the bottle filler out you have just the right amount of headspace.

Having too much headspace could be a problem as it introduces the beer to much more oxygen then if there was only an inch or so of headspace. If you must fill a bottle with more headspace, it is good to place a cap over the top and let it sit for a little while so that CO2 formed can purge some of the oxygen out before you secure the cap.

Back