Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedybrewer

Reaction score
I just opened my first home brew ever, on the bottom of the bottle there was what I was told a "yeast cake", anyway I opened the bottle and all that white stuff started to rise to the top making the beer cloudy, I haven't refrigerated it yet. Is this normal

Yep. Don't drink warm beer, chilling it will help keep the sediment down along with a careful pour. Did you pour it in a glass or just chug it from the bottle?

It's find to drink. Just may leave you a little gassy until your body gets used to working through the yeast. In the future, chill for a bit and pour into a glass leaving the yeast sediment in the bottle.

Remember, us homebrewers are classy, and would never post about being gassy..,

Chill the bottles of homebrew for 5-7 days (minimum) to both compact the sediment layer and push the CO2 generated from priming into solution (the beer in the bottle). Depending on the brew, some will even chill for longer (two weeks to a month is not uncommon).

So, basically, once you bottle beer, leave them at 70F for three weeks, chill a few in the fridge for a week, and then sample. IF carbonation is good, chill more bottles for a week. Be sure to replace the ones you drink, as you drink them. Otherwise you can quickly run out of ready to drink bottles.

Also, don't freeze the glass you're going to pour into. Room temperature is fine. At most, run cold water through/over it to cool it slightly.

Oh, and be prepared to have a 'vocal' morning. :eek:

So after I bottle it I should put it straight into a fridge for a week then it is ok to drink?

3 weeks is the MINIMUM time frame you leave the bottles at 70F. THEN put one, or a few, into the fridge for a week to chill before sampling.

It's not brain surgery here folks.

Back