Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ireland89

Reaction score
Going to start a Coopers Lager tomorrow and I have purchased bottles instead of using the barrel but when it's ready can I bottle straight from the fermenter?

You may end up with more trub in the bottles. Also you would have to put priming solution or carb drops in each bottle. Other than that it's up to you.

You should transfer your beer to another vessel, e.g., a bottling bucket and add the priming sugar to that so it gets distributed evenly throughout the beer and therefore carbonates each bottle properly. Trying to get the correct amount of sugar in each bottle by hand is messy, tedious and inaccurate. The exception being if you're using "carb drops" which are pre-measured sugar pills that you put one or two in each bottle.

You should transfer your beer to another vessel, e.g., a bottling bucket and add the priming sugar to that so it gets distributed evenly throughout the beer and therefore carbonates each bottle properly. Trying to get the correct amount of sugar in each bottle by hand is messy, tedious and inaccurate. The exception being if you're using "carb drops" which are pre-measured sugar pills that you put one or two in each bottle.

I will look in to a bottling bucket

After having used Cooper's carb drops & bulk priming,I think bulk priming is def the way to go. Use one of the on line priming calculators,like the one at tastybrew.com/primingcalculator. Then add the measured amount of sugar to some boiled/cooled water. Start syphoning the beer into the bottling bucket,then slowly pour the priming solution into the swirling surface of the beer.
I have a bottling video that shows how to do it with the Cooper's micro brew FV,bottling bucket,tubing & the lil bottler in My Profile. I take the pin valve off the end of the lil bottler,push it into the Cooper's spigot,Then atatch the tubing to the open end & sround the bottom of the bottling bucket. That'll induce some swirl to help mix things as it fills up.

Ireland89 said:
When it's bottled, where do I store it?

Away from temptation :)

In a dark spot at around 70f for min 3 wks
If its cooler leave it longer

How did the stout work out for ya?

Away from temptation :)

In a dark spot at around 70f for min 3 wks
If its cooler leave it longer

How did the stout work out for ya?

It actually came out really good, it's still in the pressure barrel ageing but it tastes really nice and has a nice head on it. I am going to leave it longer.

Really proud of my first attempt! and thank you for your help and advice

I would suggest at least racking to a bottling bucket right before you bottle. And make sure, when the time comes, to rack the beer on top of the priming sugar you use (dextrose, DME, honey) so it gets mixed up very well.

+5 on the bottling bucket. Carb tabs are good for the first batch, but as you get further down the road you'll start experimenting with conditioning with different media abd different pressures. Plus the carb tabs are quire expensive. If you haven't, check out Revvy's sticky on the dishwasher bottling trick. Saves a ton of cleanup after the fact. If you're worried about sediment getting into the bottling bucket, get an autopsiphon. It has a standoff at the bottom that greatly reduces the amount of sediment that racks to the bottling bucket. I just push it to the bottom of the bucket and am careful not to disturb it during the racking process.

if you have an autosiphon already, you can rack it to a home depot bucket, even. Just clean and sanitize it well first. Then use a bottling wand on the end of the autosiphon and clip the siphon so it's off of the bottom of the bucket. Idea here is rack off of the yeast cake/trub and then bottle.

I like to cold-crash first in a fridge for 24-48 hours before racking to bottling bucket/keg. It makes more "stuff" settle out.

Back