Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio18

Reaction score
I've read various places that you can use the heat drying cycle of your dishwasher to sanitize bottles. All of my bottles are clean (using either PBW or OxiClean Free) and are covered with plastic wrap right now. When I go to bottle my first brew, I was wondering if I could just put all the bottles upside down in the dishwasher, run it through the heating cycle directly before bottling, and pull the bottles straight from the rack to fill them. Does anybody use a similar method, or would it be stupid to not use any starsan?

I myself do not trust that method so I haven't used it... A quick dunk in a small batch of star san has never failed me.

I put a small amount of iodophor from a baster into each bottle, shake vigorously, then plop them in the dishwasher for a sanitize wash (a setting on my dw) and heat dry.

I use my dishwasher as well and place the bottles neck down on the bottom rack. However, since I don't really know the bacterial condition of my dishwasher drain I usually put a teaspoon of Iodaphor in the first cycle of the santi wash to hopefully kill whatever bacteria is in the washer and drain.

I am not sure if this is necessary but it seems like the right thing to do.

Trip

I have used the dishwasher to sanitize bottles before, but I was a soapy taste in some bottles, but not all. Since not using the dishwasher I have not noticed the taste.

I just prepare a sinkful of starsan solution, dunk them about 10-12 at a time then put them on a dishwasher rack/bottling tree (that has been sprayed with starsan solution) and bottle those 12, then repeat.

It's quicker than heating them in the dishwasher, for my system anyways.

Back