Bottling problem question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsdude

Reaction score
For my first go at brewing my own I am trying a simple amber recipe. After 2 weeks of fermentation and with the hydrometer showing no change for three days I decided to bottle.

Got everything set up and was filling bottles while my son was capping them. Anyway, on the FIRST BOTTLE my son presses down WAY too hard on the caper and breaks it along with the bottle. :eek: Now I have beer in about four bottles and the rest in the bottling bucket - and no way to cap the bottles. One other problem - I live a hour from town!

Soooo....... I found a lid that fit the bucket, sanitized it and sealed the bucket. I wrapped plastic wrap over the tops of the bottles and headed to town. About two hours later I was back and we then bottled and capped the beer (my son is now a capping expert).

My question - I am thinking I am ok here and that this won't negatively effect the beer - I am correct?

You're good. I don't even crimp my caps on until I've filled every bottle. That takes about an hour.

You should be fine. You minimized exposure/infection risk.

Also a bench capper is a wonderful replacement for a wing capper :)

I wouldn't be worried about infection, but if you primed in your bucket.. I'd be more worried about how much sugar the yeast ate. Could impact the carbonation of the beer.

I don't think the yeast could eat enough in a couple hours to make a huge difference.

I wouldn't be worried about infection, but if you primed in your bucket.. I'd be more worried about how much sugar the yeast ate. Could impact the carbonation of the beer.

That was my biggest worry, and that is why I tried to seal everything up.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess I will see how everything turns out in a few weeks.

Had this exact thing happen to me and my friend while bottling. I had to run out and get a new capper. The total trip took over an hour and 1/2. Our beer was fine, no issues.

Thanks again for all the help.

Although the beer had been in the bottles just over a day, I decided to pop open a partial fill (the last bottle I filled) and give it a try. I was surprised how good it tasted, even warm! There was already a little carbonation and was quite tasty. :mug:

Now I just have to have the patience to leave the rest alone. ;)

Thanks again for all the help.

Although the beer had been in the bottles just over a day, I decided to pop open a partial fill (the last bottle I filled) and give it a try. I was surprised how good it tasted, even warm! There was already a little carbonation and was quite tasty. :mug:

Now I just have to have the patience to leave the rest alone. ;)

It's a big payoff man, you'll regret it if you don't lol

Wow that is one of my worst fears when it comes to brewing! Im far away from any LHBS too and I always have that thought of breaking my capper in the back of my mind while capping. Its prob good to keep a spare on hand huh?

It's taken me a long time, but I've collected about 150 flip-top grolsch bottles, no capping required.

It's taken me a long time, but I've collected about 150 flip-top grolsch bottles, no capping required.

+1 for bottling in swing tops. they make bottling day easier. I have enough to do a full batch in case I have a problem that keeps me from kegging.

Wow that is one of my worst fears when it comes to brewing! Im far away from any LHBS too and I always have that thought of breaking my capper in the back of my mind while capping. Its prob good to keep a spare on hand huh?

I am thinking about trying to JB weld the broken capper. I really have nothing to lose by trying this and if it works then I would have a spare.

+1 for having a spare on hand. My sister bought a kit, brewed a couple batches, then decided it wasn't for her. I got her equipment kit, which included a capper. Never had to use the spare, but it's here when the first one breaks.

Back