Bottling mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hvyme7al

Reaction score
So I bottled my Pale Ale today and I was in a rush and forgot to add my priming sugar before I racked my beer to the bottling bucket... I mixed my priming sugar with boiled water and let it cool and then poured it into my beer and gently stirred it. I decided to crack open the last bottle that I bottled and I noticed a lot particulates floating around... When I think back to my process the stirring basically caused a whirlpool and I am wondering if I am going to have a problem with the rest of my bottled being under carbonated. Thoughts?

As long as it got mixed well it should be the same result as if you racked the beer on top of it.

It may be the yeast particles, that reproduced, when you added the priming sugar. But lets get some more information, first.

How were your sanitation techniques? Poor sanitation can lead to infected beer...quickly.

How long did you incorporate the priming sugar for? I've made the same mistake, and have found that stirring (gently) for 30-60 seconds usually does the trick.

I have found that the last bottle filled is usually a pretty dirty bottle. It's usually nothing to be surprised about. How long ago did you bottle?

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. If you find that the beer has large particles floating around or if you have any bottle bombs, you may have an infection. Take a pic of the particulates in question and post it. We love pictures. Good luck.

Give your bottles three to four weeks of conditioning. You'll find all these particles will be at the bottom of the bottle.

I bottled this morning.. I just decided to open one of my beers and try it.

As far as my process goes... First I cleaned all the bottles, buckets, etc with PBW then I sanitized everything with starsan. I had bottles sit in starsan while I was filling them.

I stirred my priming sugar in gently for easily a minute or more but I stirred it in using circular motions which may have created a whirlpool? I was just wondering if that's what I did and if it was possible to create a "cone of priming sugar" in the middle of my bucket and when I tipped my bucket over to fill my final bottles that the majority of my priming sugar went into them.

You dissolved the sugar into boiling water right? Then I doubt it came out of solution and formed a cone. I bet your beer carbs up fine.

Back