Bottling mistake???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmedic43

Reaction score
I may have made an oopsident. I brewed my English Boch kit, left it in primary for 2 weeks, I checked the FG over 3 days as instructed and all 3 reading were identical, then I put it in secondary for 2 weeks and bottled today but I did not take another FG reading, (of course all bottles were sealed before I remembered). My question is will this cause any potential bottle bombs? I have taken precaution when letting them condition (in old bud light cases, layed horizontally in the bathtub with towels covering them to hopefully minimize blast range if something bad happens) Am I safe or am I looking at a full bathroom cleaning in my future? Thanks all:mug:

You're fine. If your FG was stable in primary, fermentation was done and FG shouldn't change in secondary, assuming you don't add syrup or fruit or sugar of any sort.

If your fg reading were all the same in your primary then there is no problem, there won't be much fermentation left. What was the final gravity reading.

I don't think they need to be in the tub...what if you need to shower?

Thanks yall, I did not add any sugar, syrup or anything else once I racked to secondary, FG reading was 1.020 with starting of 1.064, Im estimating ABV% of 5.77 sound right? Also they are being stored in the second bathroom that the shower is not being used, I was looking for a place with constant temps. Outside temps are varying too much here in Texas so garage is not most appropriate correct?

Thanks yall, I did not add any sugar, syrup or anything else once I racked to secondary, FG reading was 1.020 with starting of 1.064, Im estimating ABV% of 5.77 sound right? Also they are being stored in the second bathroom that the shower is not being used, I was looking for a place with constant temps. Outside temps are varying too much here in Texas so garage is not most appropriate correct?

I get 5.764% , which rounds to 5.76%... but man, you are talking hundredths of a percent. :p

If the gravity was stable, you are fine. No need to take a new gravity reading in secondary unless you added fermentables.

brewmedic43 said:
I used a kit that the ingredient list just says 1 yeast sachet, it is a lager yeast though.

Hmmm. There may have been some "oopsident" then, since lager yeast needs to be lagered, or stored cold, for a long time. My guess is, if you followed directions, it is actually an ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back