Bottling 'lambic' - FG 1.014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayling

Reaction score
Hello
I currently have a 'lambic' that has been sitting in a carboy for a year now. Specifically, it is NB's Dawson's Kriek extract kit with Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend. The issue I have is that it seems to have finished at 1.014. Gravity has not changed since I last took a sample 2 months ago. Do you think it's safe to bottle, and if so, would you still use a pinch of champagne yeast at bottling along with priming sugar? I'm worried about gushers and bottle bombs bottling this style with such a high finishing gravity but I'm just not sure it's going to move anymore..
Thank you so much for any advice

I personally would not bottle that high, and probably start another batch using a different sour strain and then blend. How does it taste?

I started a split batch in February 2018 - half with Gigayeast Sour Cherry Funk, and half with Lambic Blend. About four months ago, the SGs were 1.002 and 1.012 respectively. The brett in the lambic blend isn't as aggressive as some strains, which is what you're seeing, especially if you got an older pack.

I wound up blending both of mine to some extent, and then adding crabapples. Haven't checked on the Wyeast fermentor, but the 2/3 Sour Cherry Funk 1/3 lambic blend is back down to 1.002 after six weeks of crabapples.

It's puckeringly sour at the moment - 3.1ph. It tastes fairly dry as well. It's certainly acceptable for my tastes. I appreciate the advice - would you not bottle for flavor reasons? Or because I could have some bottle bombs down the road? I know next to nothing about blending so I'll have to do some research. I do have a 4 month old golden ale with Roeselare yeast in a carboy as well.

Back