Bottling lager for secondary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethhutchings

Reaction score
Hi
I recently bottled up some coopers lager instead of barreling it as i would like to keep the natural fizz this time and not add c02 etc. I may have made a mistake by adding priming sugar then syphing the lager into each bottle and then shaking the bottles severly to work the sugar in. Have i ruined my brew by shaking it up so much and diturbing the remaining suspended yeast etc and will this sudden added oxygen brew in a nasty flavor etc. Thanks folks. Im sure il drink it anyway lol

So, you're saying you bottled for secondary/lagering after primary fermentation? That's OK, I guess. Some people make lagers like that with success. I prefer to lager in a lagering tank, or "secondary". Partly because I bottle and Greg Noonan states that lagers to be bottled should be lagered at atmospheric pressure and partly because I think bulk lagering helps create a cleaner lager.

But all that aside, the only thing you may do is oxidize your beer. The best thing to do is to use a bottling bucket to mix your priming solution and beer. Stir well, but don't splash (oxidize). Bottle from there, then there's nothing to add to the bottles. If I read your post correctly, and you insist on adding sugar directly to the bottle (contamination possibility), then you don't need to shake them up. The yeast will find the sugar. You may just want to turn them over once or twice.

Back