Bottling Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachary80

Reaction score
Bottled my Dry Irish Stout stout today after 4 weeks in primary. Made the priming solution ahead of time, let it cool, added it to the bottling bucket. Racked onto the priming solution, then bottled.

After we filled the last bottle we had a little leftover, so we decided to taste it. It looked like stout but tasted like pure sugar.

Are we going to have problems? What precautions should we take - put them in garbage bags after a few days?

I take it you don't have any gravity measurements?

It's possible you are tasting the priming solution, some people claim it makes their beer taste VERY sweet, though I don't really feel that way when I taste mine. Are you exaggerating when you say it tastes like "pure sugar"?

How much priming sugar did you use?

If you used the 4 oz per 5 gallon your fine. And if that last bit tasted too sweet then maybe test your last two bottled first after a few weeks.I always stir a little after siphoning to the botteling bucket,probably should halfway too but dont.

I take it you don't have any gravity measurements?

It's possible you are tasting the priming solution, some people claim it makes their beer taste VERY sweet, though I don't really feel that way when I taste mine. Are you exaggerating when you say it tastes like "pure sugar"?

How much priming sugar did you use?

Didn't feel like messing with the scale so I just did 2/3 cup priming sugar (as per Palmer). Also was too lazy to take a FG - had a vigorous fermentation with blowoff for the first few days, and figured the combination of a month and a low starting gravity would be fine. Wasn't concerned about anything until we tasted the primed beer out of curiosity.

I have had other beer after mixing it with priming solution. This was way sweeter, which makes me think it might not have mixed properly. Pure sugar was not an exaggeration, there was little other flavor since the sweetness was so stong

You're fine. There's nothing you need to worry about. Of course it's gonna taste a little sweet, the yeast hasn't eaten the sugar that you just added. You're overstressing a non-issue.

The sugar solution is heavier than the fermented wort and therefore it sinks to the bottom. Thus you tried the beer with the most sugar in it. Nothing to worry about, you can stir a little but oxidation is bad obviously.

Back