Bottling In Soda Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I"m thinking I'll use some kind of carbonated water, spritzer or what ever it's called. Gonna try an stay away from actual soda bottles.

Nowdon't get me wrong I will be using bottles for sure and keep my ghetto growlers to 4 - 6 liters.

Around tax season i will be going toward kegging.. Can't friggon wait.

I've used apple juice bottles [3 quart], V-8 bottles [2 quart] AND 2 liter soda bottles...ALL #1 PETE...to bottle-condition and carbonate Ed Wort's "Apfelwein." The ONLY issue with any of them was some slight distortion of the plastic, especially the molded "hand-holds."

I checked yesterday, and I have some apfelwein in plastic bottles that is STILL fully carbed...the sides of the bottle can NOT be squeezed inward...and they're over two years old. I guess it's time for me to drink more apfelwein!

So, if they work for carbonating apfelwein, they should work equally well for beer...just be cautious of light if the plastic is clear.

glenn514:mug:

As an added bonus, you can walk around town and drink beer all day long out of 20 oz. soda bottles. Stout...Coke...I defy anyone to tell the difference from 5 feet away. Even if you were drinking IPA out of a clear Coke bottle I doubt you'd get a second look unless you were being an idiot.

This would be perfect for us who have to take the kids trick or treating tonight...

Found this paragraph in a blog called " TODAY I FOUND OUT " dated Aug 29, 2014

Plastic, on the other hand, is chock-full of chemicals that could potentially leech into your drink and ruin your beer and possibly more. For example, the plastic most often used to store soft drinks and indeed some beer, Polyethylene Terephthalate (often shortened to PET) leeches a toxic metalloid known as antimony, among other things. When stored at room temperature or less, the amount of antimony that leaches is generally deemed safe, but as temperatures increase, so does the antimony levels in your drink. When stored in an uninsulated garage for a few months in the summer or other warm areas, the levels can exceed the recommended limits set by the Environmental Protection Agency.

For a big starter in my experience that is my typical method , I'm thinking of using a couple of the cases from Sam's club of 16 oz coke bottles to bottle up my mead ,braggot , and stout that I'm currently aging all of them at the same time

Latest posts

Back