Bottling high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndave

Reaction score
I transfered a batch of Liberty Cream Ale to carboy after it had been in primary 8 days and the FG was 14 at about 74 degrees. Which gives an actual of about 16. Sheet says it should finish at 10-12. OG was 40. After some discussion we decided it was due to the Munton's yeast and I figured ok cool I just won't use that again unless it turns out that I really like this beer. But now I'm thinking about bottling and I have a couple of concerns. I will of course check SG again before racking to bottle bucket, but...

1. Did the yeast just give out and does that mean it won't have enough getty-up to carbonate?

2. Could it be a situation where when I add the priming sugar (will add to bottling bucket not each bottle) it will really wake up and start ferminting other goodies besides the corn sugar and result in the dreaded bottle bombs?

BTW, Saturday will be 21 days after brew day, but I won't be here so I plan to bottle on Sunday. Now I'm thinking about waiting until I get a kegging setup, but that could be a while...

You may be setting yourself up for some bombs there. I would give it a little swirl and let lit sit a week before trying to bottle

I just went to take another gravity reading and there is about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch layer on top that is much clearer than the rest so IMO any reading I took without it being stirred up would be inaccurate...right? So, I'll have to rack to BB then take a reading and then add priming solution or I guess I could rack to another carboy and then take it...Is there any use in doing that? I took the FG reading 8 days after brew day...

I'm not sure what you're asking. It sounds like it's clearing up nicely- beer usually clears at the top first, then "falls clear" to the bottom. The SG would be the same in the entire batch. If you have a wine thief, it reaches about in the middle. I use a turkey baster, so it doesn't go quite as deep into the beer.

Back