Bottling from an Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ueberdc4

Reaction score
I have a 5L barrel I got from oakbarrelsltd.com. I was attempting to bottle a beer out of it and became rather concerned about oxidation. I started by hooking up a tube with a bottling wand on the end, but I was getting tons of air in the line. So I opted to pour directly from the spigot into the bottle. The way it trickles out still has me concerned about oxidizing my beer. Is it common practice to fill directly from the spigot or is there something else I can do? I was planning to fill it with a blueberry mead next, but now I'm a little concerned.

I would probably rack it to a bottling bucket and use a spigot, tubing and bottling wand. I usually do everything in my power to keep oxygen away from my finished beer and having air in the lines and splashing is a good way to oxidize quickly.

Well, racking it straight into bottles with a bottling wand crossed my mind it's just such a small barrel with a small opening that it sounded kind of difficult. But maybe that's the best solution...make a short little racking cane and siphon it out.

Part of the effect that storing beer in a barrel comes from oxidation, though... Your barrel aged beer has already undergone some oxidation, the only question is whether it can stand more. Conditioning in the bottle will likely scrub out some of the oxygen picked up too.

Back