Bottling from a 1 Gallon Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verbal144

Reaction score
have a couple 1 gallon test batches going, when it's time to bottle, what's the best way to bottle without transferring to a bottling bucket?

I'm about to have the same issue, I'm just going to use my siphon and cap the end of it every time my bottle is full. I'm only doing a 2 gallon batch so it won't be too meticulous. I'm feeling confident it'll go well.

I'm about to have the same issue, I'm just going to use my siphon and cap the end of it every time my bottle is full. I'm only doing a 2 gallon batch so it won't be too meticulous. I'm feeling confident it'll go well.

You don't have a bottling wand? Those are essential.

If you buy a "mini" autosiphon and add a bottling wand, and prime each bottle individually, you could skip a bottling bucket. I'd probably still use a bottling bucket, and just have a helper tilt it. That way you could still bulk prime, rack off of the trub, and not have to worry about losing siphon.

I use a bottling bucket when I bottle 1 gallon batches all the time. The mini auto siphon is awesome!

I don't know what type of siphon you have, but you can probably connect the plastic tubing to the bottling stem directly; as long as the bottles are under the one gallon carboy you should be able to keep the flow going.
I would also clamp the siphon to the carboy or something so you don't have the siphon sitting in the trub.

thanks for all the responses, i've got at least a month to test bucket vs. siphon and we'll see which is easiest

I actually use a regular racking cane and bottle filler. Was this your primary? Is there cake on the bottom? My LHBS has a little clip that will fit the racking cane and help to stay suspended above the cake. I put it in about half way and then lower as needed. I put a folded dish towel under one side to keep it tilted. Also I use dextrose and mix it equal parts with hot water. Then I use one of those syringes that come with liquid medicine to draw and squirt 1 teaspoon of the sugar mix in each bottle.
Hope this helps,
:fro:

I typically use an additional glass jug as a 'bottling bucket' just so I don't stir up trub when bottling. My regular autosiphon fits in my 1gal jugs. I carbonate with coopers carb drops because I don't feel like figuring out the carbonation levels for 1gal, plus any error is magnified since the volume is so small.

Latest posts

Back