Bottling for maximum (10+ years) storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_F

Reaction score
So having just checked the gravity of my second ever 3 gallon batch of mead (1.008), I'm getting ahead of myself, and thinking "once I make what turns out to be a really good batch", how would I bottle it to keep 3-4 bottles (at least) long enough for my nieces to receive a bottle on their respective 21st birthdays (they're 7 and 11 now).

SO... bulk aging for 6 months is part of my plan already.
Then sorbate/stabilizing and bottling.

But what sort of attention to detail will maximize the possible storage life?
What sort of cork? (forgot to mention, I'm thinking corked wine bottles- unless something else would work better?).
Would sealing with wax be a positive thing?

What else do I need to consider?

Synthetic corks on top of wax sealing would likely be the best you can do. Be sure your bottles are brown or green to block light and store in the dark.
Hum? I was thinking along the lines of good quality natural cork and wax.....

I've not seen anything that alludes to the "shelf life" of the synthetic corks/bungs..... Just that I know they're popular with many "New World" wine makers.......

Synthetic corks have much lower fail rate than natural. That being said, a good natural cork with no flaws will last just as long.

OK.. great start here... :)
Wax seems to be a definite... No problem.. Would a "cheese wax" work? Or would I be better off just buying a "proper" sealing wax?

Synthetic vs Natural cork - it seems that no matter what the "right" answer is, the consensus is a good quality one is paramount.
So the question is; how does a relative noob tell which ones are "good quality"? Strictly on price? (spendy=good?). Or is there a particular brand that is known for quality?

Many thanks for the answers so far!

Bottle wax is harder than cheese wax but not as hard/brittle as sealing wax. So either bottle sealing wax or hell, go historic and use bees wax........

What about a glue stick mixed with 2 crayons I have seen this recently and was wondering what the thought of using this to seal up wine with regular corks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What about a glue stick mixed with 2 crayons I have seen this recently and was wondering what the thought of using this to seal up wine with regular corks
Dunno how well it might mix or whether the temp required to melt the stick glue might burn the wax crayons. After all, the crayons are, as I understand, just parafin wax......

The glue sticks do go very hard too........

Maybe just using bee's wax and some crayons to colour it ? as they're likely closer in melting temps. You would need to experiment some but surely it's feasible.........

I just saw a post by someone referring to using this method( double boiler) to stop from burning the waxes

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just saw a post by someone referring to using this method( double boiler) to stop from burning the waxes
Yes, indeed it is, but glue sticks need a lot higher temperature than wax to melt, so you could experience either burning of the wax material if the temp is high enough to melt the glue or if using wax melting temp, it may be that the glue would soften, but not melt and mix in properly/at all.......

If you could get powdered pigment colouring, then just add that to bees wax, or just melt crayons.

But it's not just about melting wax is it, the way the wax finishes as it dries/hardens will also affect the look of it. If you want a "genuine" sort of appearance to wax seals, then the correct type would be needed.

Bottling wax, from memory, usually hardens with a matt finish, not shiny like a parafin wax......

Your mead, so use what you find easiest to get/use IMO.

You're gonna cave and give it to them when they are 18

That's up to Mom and Dad... not Uncle Paul :)

Having now priced "sealing wax", it's not as expensive as I thought... I don't know where I first saw it for sale, but it was a LOT more expensive than the $12 for enough to seal WAY more bottles than I plan.

I may get creative with paraffin, beeswax, crayons, and glue sticks for fun and education though... but I think for the "real deal", I'll splurge and buy the stuff made for it. I might add a crayon to "customize" the color though. :D

Appreciate all the input!
More education on what makes for a "high quality" cork is very welcome...

I use beeswax and a red crayon (Along with a couple other things) as a bullet lube. Walmart sells a very small.. maybe holds 16 oz?.. little croc pot for @ $10 that works well for melting the wax in, as long as you're not in a terrible hurry. Just dunk the tops of your bottles in and when you're done, put the little lid on the croc pot and store it in a cabinet until you need it again. It's small and doesn't take up much room and the wax won't go bad. Seems like beeswax protecting a drink made from honey would be most fitting...

I used the best quality corks I could possibly find, and got the starter kit for nochip dip for long term aging. Good quality corks plus an airtight seal of wax (it's more of a plastic really) will keep this mead for 10+ years I'm sure. Here's where I bought mine.

http://www.etchedimages.com/

http://www.widgetco.com/natural-wine-corks

mead2.jpg

For what it is worth I have ten year old bottles of mead in the basement, some in 12 oz bottles with caps, and the rest in wine bottles with synthetic corks. No big oxidation issues, they are oxidizing a bit, but hey they are 10 years old...

Easy enough I mean if you wax sealing em not like your going to have to Crack 5 open in an evening eithet

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

Easy enough I mean if you wax sealing em not like your going to have to Crack 5 open in an evening eithet

Poptart has obviously never been to one of my family gatherings.. lol. :D

If you bring out one and they like it.. better bring all you have. But as far as how easy it is to get into it.. no need in even peeling it off if you don't want. A good cork remover.. heck maybe even a bad one... will pull a cork right through the seal.

Latest posts

Back