Bottling for First Time Right Now; Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted_Giraffe

Reaction score
First brew; bottling now.

Kept in primary for 3 weeks (avoided secondary due to great advice on this forum).

It's an Oatmeal Stout.

Question; since this is the first time I'm racking, should I stop before the trub starts getting siphoned?

This is what I did... about a quarter inch of wort left on the trub, maybe less, but I noticed a gurgling sound and the trub suddenly going through the autosiphon and quickly pulled it out (and made a complete mess).

Did I stop appropriately, or do I need a little of that yeast on top of the trub for bottle conditioning?

Well yea; WDWHAHB :D

What I'm curious on is not the middle ground, but is it better to leave X amount above the trub or is it better to get all the wort and a little bit of trub/yeast?

I stop when I reach the crap at the bottom, you'll have the last few bottles full of sediment and no beer. But I may be wrong.

I try to leave the sediment behind since there will be some yeast in the beer anyway.

Depends on what you mean by x trub. If I'm leaving less than a full bottle of beer, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Depends on what you mean by x trub. If I'm leaving less than a full bottle of beer, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Good rule of thumb. If it looks like less than a bottle full of beer, don't risk pulling a bunch of crap into your bottling bucket.

I think it's better to leave a little beer in the bottling bucket than to siphon that **** into your beer. Whenever I get a particularly trubby or yeasty beer, it always tastes like garbage to me. That's just my 2 cents

congrats on your first beer :) don't worry so much about this.. don't worry so much about a little lost beer. A bottle or two less is worth having cleaner beer.

Thanks! Bottling was a fun experience and was actually very easy as I set up my system similar to the awesome bottling tips post where the wand is attached to the spigot directly with a little tubing inbetween.

It was my first time using the autosiphon, so starting the siphon proved a little difficult at first as a lot of air developed in the siphon before the flow started. I made a big mess when I started noticing the trub getting taken up in the siphon, and pulled it out quickly. I probably should have pinched the tubing and pulled it out nicely; the things you learn the first time :D.

I only did a primary; no secondary. I racked right to the bottling bucket. I primed in the bottling bucket, though I forgot to put in the priming sugar solution until the bottling bucket was 3/4 full, so I stirred it slowly for a bit for it to mix.

I guess my question, which was answered, was whether there was enough yeast in the wort to successfully leave a bit of wort above the trub, or if I wanted to grab a little of it.

I am a little concerned that the beer smelled very alcoholy and green, but I suppose that may be natural at this stage and will mellow out in the bottle.

Sucking up a little bit of yeast off the cake in primary is ok. In that volume of beer,it isn't much more than a haze. I built my bottling bucket so that only a couple tablespoons is left in the bottom. I tell you what,when I get to the bottom of the bottling bucket,the grainy stuff I may've also sucked up settles out & is left behind in the bucket.
Seems to me revvy showed a pick of that once that looked just like mine typically does. But it all settles out during carbonating/conditioning,& compacts even tighter on the bottom of the bottles during their fridge time. You'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back