Bottling dumb a*&

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
so i went to bottle my oktoberfest that has been sitting in primary for 6-7 weeks and when i was soaking my bottles I dumped some 1-step in with them. When i ran them through my dishwasher to steralize, they all came out white with residue from the 1-step. I am sure this will just wash off if I do it by hand but am I going to see any issues using these bottles or should i just scrap them and get some more going?

just run em through again with no 1-step. You're really just cleaning with 1-step (my opinion)... mix some StarSan in a container, pour a bit in each bottle, shake, pour out before pouring in your beer.

If by "scrap" you mean throw them away then definitely not. Even if you had some pretty bad stuff on there, the glass will not soak up anything. They just need washed. I agree with just running them through the cycle again without the 1 step. I have heard horror stories about dishwashers with JetDry or similar product though... I'm not sure what it does exactly, just that it is bad. I use a vinator with Starsan and I would definitely recommend it if you get an extra couple $$ some day.

try soaking in filtered water not tap.I noticed the white residue when using tap water, i just rinsed em with distilled water.

they were soaked in 1 step and then run through the dishwasher. the dishwasher did not rinse any of it off. it wipes off but it is caked on the inside.

they were soaked in 1 step and then run through the dishwasher. the dishwasher did not rinse any of it off. it wipes off but it is caked on the inside.

sounds like you should fill em up with a little hot water and clean em out with a bottle brush. the dishwasher really doesn't do much for the inside of the bottles. sanitize just prior to use

of all my brewing equipment that is the only item i can not find. and my carboy brush will not fit in the holes. FML

i will have to get some tomorrow thanks for the input

Back