Bottling Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ueberdc4

Reaction score
I just had a bad day. I'm making a Belgian Wit and didn't strain it when I was done brewing...so I had to restart my siphon 4 times today because orange peel kept getting stuck in the tube. I got pretty close to the bottom and decided to call it quits because I'd stirred things up pretty good. I ended up with 42 beers (assuming I didn't contaminate them while restarting my siphon)...which I wasn't TOO upset with. But it occurred to me afterward that there's more priming sugar than necessary in them...is that a problem? Should I be concerned about them exploding?

P.S. Make that 41 beers because I broke the top off one of my bottles when I was capping it. It was a Samuel Adams bottle for the record.

if you just left some beer in the bottling bucket (or whatever you use) you should be fine as the volume of sugar should be the same in the bottles as usual. You just left more of it in the bucket unbottled.

did you add all of the priming sugar to the whole batch and then start to bottle? If thats what you did then there shouldnt be anything to worry about. the sugar still spread out evenly in the batch and the crap that you left behind and didnt bottle has some of the priming sugar in it too.

Na...I added the entire sugar solution to the bottling bucket while it was siphoning out to help it mix in better...but not all the beer made it into the bottling bucket because I stopped it early.

:mug:Well if you are concerned, put them in a tote bucket so if they do explode, the mess will contained. I keep mine in the extra tub just in case.:mug:

It'll be a little more carbed than you intended, but I don't think you're approaching bottle bomb range. How much sugar did you use? Wits can handle a good fizz, I think.

Yeah, I was going to slide a trash bag under and around them just in case. Anyway, I added 5 ounces of dextrose.

I think you'll be fine. Five ounces is not a hard-and-fast rule, it's a guideline. A little under or over won't have much effect except on the precise level of carbonation. RDWHAHB

Yea you will most likely be fine. I had a batch once that I added just a little bit too much sugar, and the bottles were under alot of pressure, but they didnt explode. Haha Id open them and the cap would go flying off, but they didnt blow up on me, and I prolly added more sugar then you did.

Back