bottling bucket fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter

Reaction score
Does anyone use their bottling bucket as a fermenter? Besides the spigot possibly leaking, does anyone see a downside to this?

If your spigot is leaking - try using two pads on either side of the bucket next time

Used it for a while but stopped. Infected several batches fit to not being able to clean the spigot real well.

Clean after each brew; run oxyclean thru it, remove and scrub the threads and remove washers to get all surface areas, sanitize before you reassemble. Voila.

But, that being said, it's all about what you are comfortable with. As long as the beer turns out and you have fun, go to town.

Cheers!

I make sure all of my buckets have spigots. Fit them right, they won't leak. Make sure you clean them well and infection isn't an issue. My standard MO is to pull them apart and soak them in bleach water, but I don't always even do that. I will have the bucket filled with bleach water, soak at least over night, clean outside of bucket manually... clean the outside of the spigot with some of the solution then drain the bucket through the spigot... obviously a thorough rinse is in order. I will then put saran wrap around the spigot. Place lid on bucket, cover blow off hole with saran wrap. When ready to use, I will put a couple gallons of iodophor solution in the bucket, sanitize the inside with clean cloths soaked in the solution, likewise the outside and the outside of the spigot. Drain iodophor through the spigot and, once again, cover with saran wrap.

I have always made my own fermenter from a bucket and added a removable spigot for getting samples and then bottling later. I have never had an infection. But like others said, just clean it well.

I've broken 2 spigots while bottling so that is enough to deter me from using one as a fermenter. Everyone has their own opinions and process, use what works for you. For me, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. My autosiphon or racking canes get the job done for me with no issues.

I always have spigots on my bucket fermenters and no problems in 6 batches so far. Always remove to clean and sanitize. Spigots are the main benefit of using bucket fermenters IMO.

Latest posts

Back