Bottling a Wild Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorpe429

Reaction score
Over the weekend, I bottled for the first time. At the time I was thinking that I still had enough yeast in suspension to make it work, but I'm hoping for a bit of confirmation.

The beer was based on the clone of McKenzie Saison Vautour from the BYO saison issue last year. My OG was 1.060. Final gravity was around 1.002. It originally fermented for about 2 weeks with WLP Saison II. After that, I added the Belgian Lambic Blend from Wyeast. In total, it was sitting for almost exactly 5 months. At this point, the gravity hadn't changed in months, and there was also what looked like a bit of a Brett pellicle (judging by Brett starters that I've done).

My bottling method was that I racked the beer into a purged keg, added the sugar, filled the head space with CO2, and then rolled it around a bit to ensure the sugar went around. Then I used a Beer Gun to fill champagne-style 750s.

Given the gravity, time spent in the carboy, and likely pellicle, is there going to be enough yeast around to carbonate the beer? I initially thought the pellicle would be enough (I sucked up a good portion of it with my auto-siphon), but now I'm questioning myself.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Back