Bottling a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
I've got a stout fermenting right now. OG was 1.084, FG should be around 1.018. Today I am racking out of primary (after about 2 weeks) into secondary on top of some oak chips and Jameson. After 2-3 weeks of soaking up oak flavors, I plan on bottling.

My questions are:
1) Will the whiskey effect the yeast's ability to carbonate my beer?
2) How much priming sugar will give this stout the proper carbonation for a stout?

I've got a stout fermenting right now. OG was 1.084, FG should be around 1.018. Today I am racking out of primary (after about 2 weeks) into secondary on top of some oak chips and Jameson. After 2-3 weeks of soaking up oak flavors, I plan on bottling.

My questions are:
1) Will the whiskey effect the yeast's ability to carbonate my beer?
2) How much priming sugar will give this stout the proper carbonation for a stout?

The Jameson shouldn't affect the yeast's ability to carb. For priming sugar in a a stout, I like my stouts fairly well carbed. Not as high as say a pale ale, but still fairly well carbed, so I'd use about 3.5-4 ounces of priming sugar (by weight) for 5 gallons.

Thanks, Yooper. I don't like mine too carbed, so I think I'll go for 3.5 oz. Based on my sampling from yesterday, this is going to one of my favorite brews.

I did 3 oz. on my first stout and that was perfect for my tastes. It was hell waiting though. Took 3 or 4 weeks in the bottle before it seem to carb up correctly.

Back