bottling a saison brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
So I believe I'm coming to the conclusion of fermenting my first beer with brett. I brewed the saison 11/14/15 and had finished at 1.004 by 12/4/15. When I transferred to secondary I pitched a vial of Amalgamation - Brett Super Blend. I just took a sample today and the gravity reading was .996 so I think I'm ready to move on to the next phase. I would like to bottle the beer but I don't have anything other than the regular bottles I use for my usual beers. Do you think that should be okay, or should I avoid bottles if I don't have any of the thick belgian bottles? If not I can dedicate a keg and picnic tap to brett beers, but I would like to be able to take some bottles to friends to share. If I can bottle condition, should I add a champagne yeast and add priming sugar to style like I would any other beer? Thanks for the advice in advance. I did google search but I got some differing responses. I may post this in the bottling/kegging section as well but I thought I should post here first.

As long as the gravity is stable which in your case it looks that way then using regular bottles is not a problem.

I always use some champagne yeast at rebottling just for peace of mind that everything will carbonate fine.

If your gravity is stable and you prime conservatively I think you will be fine. Then keep these bottles separate so you don't bottle normal beer in bottles that had brett in it.

Couldn't hurt to store normal bottles in something waterproof just in case there is a problem. I use disposable lasagna trays from the grocery store.

Regular bottles are fine. The challenge is making sure you have yeast left to finish the carbonation. Michael Tonsmeire suggests 2grams of dry champagne yeast hydrated at 90-100 degrees per five gallons of sour beer. If you finished it in a barrel it may have a little less co2 in suspension and you may want to bump up the sugar a touch. Brett is most likely the yeast remaining so don't be surprised if carbonation takes a little longer that usual.

It will be ok to bottle in regular bottles. The gravity is very low and most likely stable after all this time. You can add yeast at bottling if you want. It will carb up faster, but the brett will carb it up. It may just take a longer time. I usually do not add extra yeast for my brett beers. I do add some yeast for sours that have been aging for over a year..

Then keep these bottles separate so you don't bottle normal beer in bottles that had brett in it.

There is no need to isolate the bottles you used for this beer. Brett is not some super ninja organism. Good cleaning and sanitizing is fine..After you use the bottles rinse them well, a soak in PBW or Oxiclean and a squirt of Starsan before the next use and you will be good. I do brett beers all the time and have never isolated bottles. I have never had a problem.

If you are interested in brett beers I would recommend looking up the Chad Yacobson videos on youtube. Thee is a three part series that is very informative about using brett. I highly recommend watching them.

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely check out those Chad Yacobson videos. I'm thinking I will go the champagne yeast route, but we'll see after I watch the videos. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back