Bottling a long-secondaried imperial ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I have a barleywine that I'm getting ready to bottle and it's been in secondary since January at this point. I know for certain that I am going to be re-pitching more yeast before I bottle it. I've seen people saying that you don't need to re-pitch with the same yeast strain you brewed with, and that a re-hydrated, highly-flocculant neutral dry yeast will suffice. My question is, how do I know that this new dry yeast I'm introducing won't eat sugars still present in my beer that were indigestible to the primary yeast strain I used? I don't want over-carbonation, or bottle-bombs. Any help would be appreciated.

A long as the bottling yeast is not significantly more attenuative than the original you should be fine
My other theory is that the yeast is lazy, and even more so under duress (alcohol + pressure), so they should give up after eating only the simplest of sugars

A long as the bottling yeast is not significantly more attenuative than the original you should be fine
My other theory is that the yeast is lazy, and even more so under duress (alcohol + pressure), so they should give up after eating only the simplest of sugars

Hey, I know you... lol

Cheers! :mug:

Back