Bottling a Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philbert119

Reaction score
I am a few days away from bottling my kolsch, which has been lagering in the secondary for nearly 5 weeks. I want a really clear beer that is characteristic of the style, but I want a crisp, carbonated beer as well.

1.Should I strain the beer when I transfer it to the bottling bucket to remove the trub of dead yeast cells, insoluble proteins, other malt, hop and yeast fractions that would create off flavors in the beer?

2.Will there be enough yeast left in suspension if I have lagered for 4.5 weeks? Or would it be more prudent to add some rehydrated yeast just to be sure? I would think that disturbing the trub and using that yeast would result in a cloudy brew. Perplexed about how to proceed.

1. no. you can't 'strain'. you could only use a filter, which could strip out all yeast depending on the micron size. it should not be necessary.

2. I say yes.

Just bottle it like any other beer.

Kolsch benefits from a cold rest, but after fermentation has subsided. Let it come to room temp for a few days before you bottle it, leave it at that temp for 10-14 days after bottle carbing...then cram all the bottles into the fridge for a month before opening. You will be rewarded with clear, golden Kolsch-y goodness. I never filter mine and they come out crystal clear.

Back