Bottling a belgian w/ a corker soon-- wax vs crowns.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So, I have a really tasty tripel that I'm going to cellar for a few months. However, I was thinking of corking the bottle, then sealing the top in wax. Anyone have any ideas about how well this would function?

Also, anyone know of any place I can get a custom wax seal stamper?

Well, the point of th ecap is to keep the cork from being pushed out. So I think as the pressure builds up, the wax won't be able to keep the cork in.

Cork - Cap - Wax. that's the way to go.

Or if you have Belgian bottles (or Champagne) that can take a cork and cage, it makes for a pretty cool presentation. See my sig.

I have found that MANY champagne bottles will also take just a crown cap. So you could either cork and cap or cork and cage with them, then wax!

Well, the point of th ecap is to keep the cork from being pushed out. So I think as the pressure builds up, the wax won't be able to keep the cork in.

Cork - Cap - Wax. that's the way to go.

Or if you have Belgian bottles (or Champagne) that can take a cork and cage, it makes for a pretty cool presentation. See my sig.

You were actually partly the inspiration for this plunge into corking! I have the Belgian-style bottles, for sure. Would I have to Cork-Crown-and then add the wax just to be sure?

Well, some Belgian bottles take a cork and cage and others take a cork and cap. It's one or the other. Either way, you definitely need to keep the cork from pushing its way out. If you try to place a crown cap on the bottles I have, they won't fit. The lip is too big. So you'll have to determine which kind of Belgian bottles you have.

I'm not sure if I've seen people wax the cages. Seems to me like that would be a mess with the wax getting into the wires and stuff. I guess you could wrap the cages in foil, like the pros do.

If you definitely want to use wax, find the corkable/cappable ones. They're almost the same as Champagne bottles but darker glass and more "beer" shaped.

I've only done the the one batch so far with the corks and cages. then I went and traded most of my bottles away, so I have to collect some more. I'll probably go half and half with cages and corks so I can wax some.

Well, some Belgian bottles take a cork and cage and others take a cork and cap. It's one or the other. Either way, you definitely need to keep the cork from pushing its way out. If you try to place a crown cap on the bottles I have, they won't fit. The lip is too big. So you'll have to determine which kind of Belgian bottles you have.

I'm not sure if I've seen people wax the cages. Seems to me like that would be a mess with the wax getting into the wires and stuff. I guess you could wrap the cages in foil, like the pros do.

If you definitely want to use wax, find the corkable/cappable ones. They're almost the same as Champagne bottles but darker glass and more "beer" shaped.

I've only done the the one batch so far with the corks and cages. then I went and traded most of my bottles away, so I have to collect some more. I'll probably go half and half with cages and corks so I can wax some.

Sounds like a plan-- did you use one of those little twisty guys to twist the cages or did you use your hands?

I used a phillips screwdriver. Stuck it in the loop and twisted six half-turns.

I think you can also use a piece of broken raking cane.

I just got my corker (the Colonna one) and corked two bottles the other day. I followed the BYO article.

I think you'll really need the wire cages to hold in the cork. I would not want to try waxing over the cork with no cage...there's a reason that the cage is on there. I ended up buying the wire twisting tool since it was only $4 or $5 and I was already spending a lot on the corker, corks, cages, ingredients, etc. You can really just use a pen or screwdriver.

I just got my corker (the Colonna one) and corked two bottles the other day. I followed the BYO article.

I think you'll really need the wire cages to hold in the cork. I would not want to try waxing over the cork with no cage...there's a reason that the cage is on there. I ended up buying the wire twisting tool since it was only $4 or $5 and I was already spending a lot on the corker, corks, cages, ingredients, etc. You can really just use a pen or screwdriver.

Looks great! Where did you find the little bottles? My wife doesn't like Belgians, so I hafta down a full 750ml bottle whenever I open one. At 9%ABV, that can start to be a little much at dinner. :drunk:

Looks great! Where did you find the little bottles? My wife doesn't like Belgians, so I hafta down a full 750ml bottle whenever I open one. At 9%ABV, that can start to be a little much at dinner. :drunk:

They are Russian River bottles and they are 375ml. Unfortunately, the beer is not cheap...I think the cheapest I find is Damnation for about $6.99 a bottle. I only have two of those small guys.

Back