Bottling 3 batches on the same day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
I have about 3 different batches I need to bottle on the same day. Should I be sanitizing my siphoning equipment, and my bottling bucket in between batches? Or do you think its safe to just bottle one right after another?

I would sanitize between each batch. The longer you handle equipment the more chance for bad stuff, plus you would be mixing yeasts (unless they all use the same yeast strain).

Personally, I'd rather take the extra 10 minutes to be safe.

I have about 3 different batches I need to bottle on the same day. Should I be sanitizing my siphoning equipment, and my bottling bucket in between batches? Or do you think its safe to just bottle one right after another?

I just did that on the weekend, and I washed and sanitized EACH time. Skimping on sanitation should never ever be a thought process of a successful brewer. It's better to over sanitize than under. And honestly it only takes between 5 and 10 minutes to clean and re-sanitize everything. It's not that difficult a process.

plus you would be mixing yeasts (unless they all use the same yeast strain).

I would not worry about mixing yeasts. Once the beer is fully attenuated the yeast will have very little effect. Many breweries who bottle condition use a different yeast at bottling.

BUT I would worry that one batch was infected and that infection could be passed on to the other batches.

I would not worry about mixing yeasts. Once the beer is fully attenuated the yeast will have very little effect. Many breweries who bottle condition use a different yeast at bottling.

But they use yeast with known attenuation. Say you bottle a batch that used a yeast with 68% attenuation, and then added some yeast with 77% attenuation: potential bottle bomb.

I just did that on the weekend, and I washed and sanitized EACH time. Skimping on sanitation should never ever be a thought process of a successful brewer. It's better to over sanitize than under. And honestly it only takes between 5 and 10 minutes to clean and re-sanitize everything. It's not that difficult a process.

Thanks for the advice. I never skimp on sanitation, although I have never bottled 15 gallons of beer at once.
:ban:

Back