Bottling 100% Brett Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawfman

Reaction score
I searched for it, but couldn't find a definitive answer. I have a brett beer that is 4 weeks in. Starting gravity was 1.067 and I checked it two weeks ago and it was at 1.012 and another two weeks later it remains the same. From my understanding, all brett beers do not super attenuate like when added to secondary, therefore they should be treated like sach yeast. If that is the case, am I safe to bottle soon? My normal fermentation schedule for most my ales is 4 weeks primary. With 100% brett fermentation, is two weeks adequate time to have any measurable differences in gravity?

Thanks!

In my experience Brett will get 90% done then drop a point a month. I'd wait another two weeks then check it again.

Only super attenuates in the presence of pedio from what I understand. I bottled a few bottles when transfering my 100% brett two weeks ago. I used chimay type bottles, a cork and cage to be safe. I added 1 tsp of dextrose per bottle and a sprinkle of champange yeast. Has not blown up yet, I hope, been away all week. Will check the corks in the morning when I get home.

I recently did a 100% Brett B beer that also hit terminal gravity (FG: 1.010; OG 1.050) after 2 weeks. I waited 8 weeks just to be sure, but it never dropped below 1.010. Maybe wait another week or two just to be sure, since yours was a bit higher OG, then I'd say you're good to bottle.

They say 90% done in 2 weeks, and final 10% takes 8 weeks. My experience has been all over the map; fast, slow, done at 2 weeks, and continued for 3 months.

All done with yeast from the same original vial. WLP650 (Brett-B), I've found it to be very inconsistent.

If you plan on keep some bottles for a while (and you should - it's worth it), I would suggest waiting for another month or more and see what happens. If you are going to drink them quick, it probably doesn't matter.

I brewed an IPA with 100% Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois (WLP644). Starting at OG 1.061, I checked the gravity after a month and it was down to 1.012. It's been a month since then, so two months of fermentation. Do you think it's ok to bottle? I'm planning on drinking them slowly over a long period of time in between 3/4 weeks after bottling and a year. I'd really like to see what the Brett will do.

If it makes any difference, it's a very fruity IPA - bittered with warrior and flavored with Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic. When I checked gravity a month ago it tasted and smelled like Hawaiian punch and skittles.

Brett as a primary yeast doesn't super-attenuate. I would think a month would be fine. If you're worried give it a couple more weeks and if the gravity is stable, bottle it.

A month should be fine, Ive done a fair amount of 100% Brett IPAs and the attenuation ranges are always ale like.

Latest posts

Back